24

It's been a good two weeks since Hadley and I broke up. After I got home from the beach to face my parents there were a lot of tears as well as my parents promise to help me through it. They have actually been really good about it, they don't talk about it too much.  They have even been trying harder to do more stuff with me, taking my mind off things I suppose.

Being at school is a whole different story, poor Jessica has no idea what she is supposed to do so she's been spending a lot of time with her other friends. I try really hard to not pay attention to Hadley however I can't help it.

Currently we are sat at the table for lunch. It's odd how there are so many people around all living their normal lives while my friends and are are just trying to figure out what to do with ourselves. I glance around, jessica is walking slowly over to our table with Eric. I look over to where Hadley sits. She pushes her food around on her plate but never eats any. She has a textbook with her however it remains closed. She's not happy, I can tell. The spark in her face is lost. Or stolen, I'm not sure which one.

"Hey guys." Jessica says as her and Eric take a seat. "What you guys up to?"

"You know still sulking over here." Jason says trying to bring up the mood. He's been good at trying to keep the mood good. He's good most of the time.

I shoot Jason a sad smile. "Yeah its real fun." I add to his statement.

"Dustin, you've got to either get over it or fix it." Jess stars annoyed. Probably because Hadley and her were actually friends and now she's stuck in the middle.

"Lot easier said than done Jess." I bite back.

"Well, we can not keep living like this, it's ridiculous. I liked hanging out with Hadley, she was nice." Jessica raises her voice slightly.

"I know she's fun jessica, I liked hanging out with her too. You think this is easy for me?"  I snap.

The three look at me eyes wide. I stand up rolling my eyes and sighing. I walk quickly over to Hadley's table. When I sit down the side opposite of her she looks up from her plate of moved around food.

"What do you want?" She asks before returning her eyes down to her food.

"I want to talk."

"Nothing to talk about." I've heard that before. I know there is always something to talk about.

"Hadley, I know this sucks and I'm sorry, but."

She cuts me off. "But what? It's over. You said so. And I'm pretty sure that I don't want to talk to you again. Remember your the rich kid, I'm just me, some kid in the hall." She shrugs.

"Can you at lest let me explain a bit?"

"So you can feel better?" She and almost in disbelief. She finally looks up to meet my eyes. I can tell she had something she was going to say but she's changed her mind.

"Ugh, fine." She sighs throwing her fork down.

"I broke up with you for a reason, like a real one." I start. She just rolls her eyes.

"I know you want to protect me from whatever baggage you carry." She says using air quotes and rolling her eyes.

God she frustrates me, " Hadley will you just listen to me?" I say a little harshly.

"Whatever Dustin, say what you got to say, I have to go study." She says crossing her arms over the table.

"You got accused of cheating and kicked out because of me. " Hadley remains starring at me, so I continue. " some girl that I hooked up with at the beginning of the year got jealous of you and me so she... set you up for failure." I say in defeat. Hadley says nothing. Just stares at me blankly. "Hadley, please say something."

She shakes her head. "I don't care."

I scoff at her lack of care. "What do you mean you don't care?"

"You didn't need to break up with me because of that."

"I though you would rather be single then with some guy that get you kicked out of school."

She stand up abruptly. "I would have been mad yes, but that is no cause to break up. We were a couple Dustin, we work though things together." Her voice starting to rise. " I love you Dustin, so what do you do but go and break my heart." I can see her eyes shimmer with tears.

"Hadley, doll." I start standing up from my seat.

She shakes her head putting her hands up as she slowly backs away from the table. She grabs her bag and throws it over her shoulder. "Don't" is all she says.

"But..." I walk around to where she was and grab her elbow in an attempt to calm her down.

"Just don't Dustin, why would you want to work through this now? You couldn't do it before." That's all she said before leaving in a rush, levering bullet wounds in me.

I can't move, I kinda just want to melt into a puddle and sink into the ground.  I can feel the eyes of the every one burning holes in every inch of me. My face burns with anger, not just towards Hadley's insanely outburst but at how I technically caused the outburst. How could I be so stupid, actually thinking she would want to talk to me after all I've done to her. It feels like I'm stood there for at least a year before a hand on my shoulder pulls me from it.

"Dustin." I look over my shoulder to see Jessica. I shake her hand off my shoulder and walk away from her, I can't deal with this. I'm going home.

"Dustin wait." She tries, though she fails. Honestly like the words 'Dustin wait' from her mouth are going to stop me. If they were to come from Hadley lips I'd stop in an instant. But they are not.

       *                          *                         *

I end up parked in front of Hadley's. I didn't even realize I was driving here. I hate the subconscious mind. Gives away your deepest desires that your outer self refuses to admit. Hadley's not even home, at least she shouldn't be school is still in session right now. 

I drum my fingers along the steering wheel trying to decide what to do. I don't want to go back to school, it's misery there. I can't go home, moms home and now that she actually is trying to cares she'll be on my case. I can't go into Hadley's place since one she's not even there and two he dad might actually kill me since he told me not to hurt her and not only did I do just that but I think I might have shattered her. I can feel tears lining my eyes at the thought.

I get out of my car and walk into the store, behind the counter is Hadley's dad. My heat pines in my chest from anxiety. I never thought how hard it would be to even just face her dad. Though the father of ever girl hates the guy that breaks their little girls heart.

I try to turn quickly to leave before he sees me but I end up knocking a self of stuff over. I try catching some but most falls right to the ground.

"Dustin?" Her father says from behind me. I hold my breath. "Is that you?"

I turn his way to meet his face, worn. "Sorry sir, I'll clean it up I'll just, I was..." I start

"Dustin, I know what you're doing here. I'm sorry but Hadley's at school. Actually you should be too." He says putting his elbows on the counter.

"Mr. Penderson, I'm sorry for what I did I just..."

He holds his hand up up stop my words. "Dustin I'm not the one that needs to hear it. Yes I'm upset you broke my little girl but I'm not the one you need to apologize to." He sighs.

"Sir" I start but he cuts me off.

"Get back to school Dustin. I don't think Hadley is going to want to see you today okay."

I sigh and back up, heading back out of the store. I don't know why I thought that would be a bad idea.