32: Power Lesson and Rendezvous

"Again

"Again."

Charlie groaned, reeling his arm behind him just to throw it back towards Ezekiel, a burst of flames following his move to shoot towards the target Ezekiel held in between his very overused oven mits.

As Charlie bent himself over, desperately trying to catch his breath, Ezekiel seemed to be having his own dilemma. Charlie's eyes widened as Ezekiel let out a worried yelp, waving his burning oven mitt around. He hurriedly pulled it off with his other mitt, throwing it to the ground.

Another yelp was released as the second mitt caught fire, which then caused the dangerously dry grass to catch fire.

"Extinguisher!" Ezekiel yelled.

Charlie searched for the fire extinguisher as the fire began to cover more of the grass.

"Any day now, Charlie!"

"I'm trying!" Charlie cried, finally grabbing the fire extinguisher, stumbling over to the burning grass, closing his eyes as he sprayed the fire down.

He stayed there for a few seconds, moving the nozzle back and forth to make sure the area was safely covered and controlled.

"Did I get it?" He called, not opening his eyes as he awaited his answer.

"You tell me," Ezekiel huffed.

Charlie slowly opened his eyes, noticing that in his hurry to save Ezekiel's grass, he had accidentally lifted the extinguisher too high, covering the older man with the foamy mess.

"O-oh..." Charlie mumbled, a sheepish smile helping him hide his giggling. "I'm sorry," he told the man.

Ezekiel wiped his face, slinging his hands down to throw the foam away from him with a noticeable plop. He surveyed the land around him, it was a small plot of land behind the jewelry store that was fenced in, courtesy of Ezekiel's father.

"Well," he started, taking in the various burn spots and smoking areas of the land, "it could have been worse," he told the boy reassuringly.

Charlie groaned, dropping the extinguisher, "That's what people say when it can't get any worse," he worried, running a hand through his overgrown hair. "I'm not gonna be any use to anyone," he huffed, choosing to take a seat where he was standing. In one of the few spots of untouched grass.

Ezekiel gave Charlie a soft look, quickly going into the shop to grab himself some paper towels, wiping as much of the foam off him as he could before returning to Charlie, a glass of water in hand.

"Here," Ezekiel handed Charlie the cup. "Drink and listen."

Charlie sighed, grabbing the glass, watching Ezekiel as he chugged the cool water.

"You're not gonna learn everything in two hours, Charlie," he told him reassuringly. "The fact that you're able to even gather enough fire from the Phoenix to throw is amazing in itself."