Question 14

"Is there something that you've dreamed of doing for a long time? Why haven't you done it?" 

Dean's smile faded at that one, and Cas stopped laughing as he thought about it.

"Yes," Dean admitted.

"What is it?"

"I've been dreaming about running away since I was eight," Dean went on. 

"Why haven't you then?" Dean sighed.

"Life's not that simple, Cas. You can't just run away from everybody and everything."

"Well, I mean, you COULD, but-" Dean shook his head.

"No, no, I couldn't. I could never bring myself to leave my mom and Sam like that. If I'm running away, then they're coming with me. And Mom will never leave, so I guess I'm never running." Cas hesitated, a question at the tip of his tongue. He sighed and asked it anyways, knowing it would only anger Dean, but not really caring.

"Why would you leave your Dad?"

"Because he's a horrible person."

"But he's also your father." Dean stifled a short, harsh laugh.

"He stopped being my father a long time ago," Dean said coldly. He shook his head. "But you don't want to hear about my stupid excuse for a parent,"

"Yes I do."

"Well, I don't want to talk about it. What's your dream, then?" Cas glanced at the note card, a smile and a blush creeping across his face.

"You'll think it's dumb."

"No I won't."

"You'll laugh."

"No I won't. Promise!"

"I want to go skydiving," Cas muttered. "Just to see what it feels like to fly."

"What's so dumb about that?" Cas dropped his head even further.

"I'm like deathly afraid of falling."

".....What?"

"Seriously. I fall off a chair, I scream bloody murder. Trust falls did not end well in gym class. Even tripping on my shoelaces and falling, it scares the hell out of me."

"And yet you want to go skydiving."

"Yeah."

"Which is essentially just falling from thousands of feet up in the air."

"Yeah."

"Wow."

"See? It's stupid. Lucifer thinks it's the stupidest thing in the world."

"I don't think it's stupid," Dean objected. "I think it sounds like a cool way to conquer your fear of falling."

"How would that help me CONQUER my fear?"

"Because if you fall, but you enjoy it because it feels like flying, then you won't be afraid to fall anymore. It'll just all be like flying."

"But jumping out of a plane and tripping down the stairs are two very different things."

"Well, there's only one way to find out if you're ever going to be ready to skydive."

"And what's that?"

"By actually going skydiving."

"You're insane."

"I'll go with you, if you want. We can conquer our fears together."

"What fear do you have?"

"....Planes."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"REALLY?"

"I JUST DON'T LIKE PLANES, OKAY, THEY'RE UNPREDICTABLE AND SCARY AND I DON'T LIKE THEM AND LET'S JUST MOVE ON."