CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX ━ WHAT THE HELL?

(chapter twenty-six.) what the hell?
❝ WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? ❞

) what the hell?❝ WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? ❞

"POET, NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN! HAVEN'T SEEN YOU SINCE A YEAR NOW... WAIT. Is this Paris?"

Poet looked at one of the veterans who immediately stood up to greet her but stopped when he noticed the boy holding on to his backpack straps for dear life.

"Sorry, I haven't had the time to come here especially since Allison's new movie," Poet explained before placing her hand on Paris' shoulder. "And yes, this is Paris. My nephew and Julian's son."

"Well, all we gotta tell you boy is that you come from a good family," another veteran stepped in. "Your father was a great soldier and your great-uncle as well. Here, come on. I'll show you where they are while your aunt gets herself a drink."

"Thank you," Poet mouthed because she felt like shit. She sat down on one of the stools next to another veteran who was already serving her a drink and passed it to her. "Cheers."

"Cheers."

She turned around in her stool, watching the veterans coming towards Paris and showing him where his father was and where the newspaper cutouts of Poet and Julian were at. And, yes. They knew what they had. They knew the powers. Julian used his speed on the field and there was only a person like that in the whole entire world since they were a child. It was one of those kids that came from the scientists. So, they pieced it together and came to find Poet and figure out what she was.

Poet waited for a few until the veterans came to their great-uncle. She stood up, heading towards them and patting the closest ones on the back.

"I got this one from here, guys," Poet smiled at them. "But thank you for showing him his father. He's been wanting to come here."

"No problem, Poet. You know how much we love you Capulets."

With a last pat on the back, a last wave, and a last smile, Poet and Paris went to stare at the picture of the men that were in the Vietnam War. She pointed at a man.

"This is our great-uncle," Poet said, tears forming in her eyes. "He died on the field and... It was devastating. Stories of him got passed down to generation of kids and your father and I were never able to hear his story. I had to dig into my parents' mind until I could find something relating to him after we found a picture of him."

"What was his name?"

"Wait, wait," Poet said, turning around to head towards Julian's stuff hanging. She saw a picture of him hanging on the wall and then pictures of him smiling at the camera with his crew. "You really look like him."