16

Dominic hadn't said a word to me since the cabin. A week of zero contact with him. I wasn't sure if he backed off because he was mad that I hadn't told him about Edric or if he was just distancing himself in general. I moved into Edric's bedroom much to my distaste. Since we were staying together, the need for double security was gone. I hardly saw Alexei, Vlad or Anatoly. I missed my space. I missed Dominic.

Edric usually rose early and came back late. He was generally pleasant, but it wasn't the same with Dominic absent. I trusted Dominic; we were friends. I hated that he was avoiding me. Part of me cringed at the thought he regretted sleeping with me. He said he didn't regret it, but his actions showed otherwise.

I put on an approved black dress and started out of the bedroom. I was supposed to be grieving the loss of my mother, but it had been a week. I wondered if Dominic would go with me to the fake funeral or if Edric was going to play the supportive husband for a few days. I wished it was just Dominic, but I knew that wasn't happening. After his "arrest" I was sure the royal family was keeping him on a tight leash. They weren't going to let him go to America.

I needed to stop obsessing over him. I didn't have anything else though. Anya came around, but she had other duties. I was relieved of my position with the Ag department until I could "properly grieve" the loss of my mother and step father.

I stepped out of the bedroom and greeted the guard outside. I didn't know his name and he never asked mine.

I made my way downstairs like I did every day. I was bored out of my damn mind. Edric promised it wouldn't be much longer until I could start with Rosa again, but I wasn't holding my breath.

I noticed Matis by the front door. I hadn't seen him much since my first night with the royals. Dominic and Edric told me I needed to seem more into being a royal though. Conversing with my brother in law was probably a good start.

"Hi," I greeted warmly.

His golden eyes fell on me and a light smile touched his lips. "Amina. How are you?"

I shrugged. "I'm okay."

"I heard about your parents. I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thanks. I haven't seen much of you since I married Edric."

"I've been traveling with Isabella. How is life with my brother?" He asked lightly.

"Great. We're starting to get along."

"Edric has always been difficult to get along with," he laughed. "I'm glad someone broke through to him."

In that moment I felt I understood Edric a little better. How lonely his life must have been living with such a heavy secret. He never had the opportunity to be himself even with the people closest to him. He kept his walls high to avoid anyone discovering what he hid.

I offered him a small smile. "Me too."

"When do you leave for the states?"

"Tomorrow I think."

"Would you like some company?"

I bit my lip. I had no idea if Edric was going. He was kind of present with me, but there was still a clear rift. He kept me at a distance and I was sure it showed.

"Sure. I don't know if Edric's going."

"I'm far better company than he is anyway," Matis said with a laugh.

I laughed. "Thanks. I really didn't want to go alone."

"Your Highness," Dominic's smooth voice came from behind me.