Chapter 46 - Suspect

BRIAN

On one hand, I feel relieved that my employees are alive and doing well. While visiting, they have reassured me that what happened was out of my control and that they are happy to go back to work. On the other hand, it's a situation that I don't wish on anyone else.

I've tried to keep my spirits high for everyone around me, especially for my daughter, but what happened on the day of the fire haunts my dreams and even my thoughts when I'm not asleep. To be engulfed by darkness, trying desperately to find my employees and then being showered with glowing embers was the most traumatic experience of my life. When I heard the fire alarm, I was standing all the way at the back of the grounds thinking of ways to use the new park for the holiday season. One of the security guys ran to me to say there was a fire in the new storage shed behind the ride. It was a huge shock because I had sprinkles installed in that area and the shed even got a security certificate from the fire department.

I sprinted to the front through the obstacle course of rides and stalls. Minutes before, I had instructed two of my employees to clean the boats, a task that is done weekly for that ride. The boats are in a storage area and I wasn't sure if the alarm could be heard loud enough. Especially because the power unit for that attraction is nearby and makes a lot of noise even when the ride is not in use.

Some employees were gathered by the meeting point, but when they saw me running, many of them followed, including Charlie and Lewis. There was so much smoke when I got inside the building. I kept low, shouting all the time for my employees to get out, together with my security guy. The kids finally saw me, but on the moment they came close, a big piece of the roof crumbled into glowing pieces, searing my skin on the places it came in contact with me. I felt as if I was suffocating from the heat, the smoke and the pain. Suddenly I heard voices behind me and I begged them to take the employees out of the building. Then I passed out. The next thing I know is I'm at the hospital with my mom and Piper at my side. Everybody was okay, shaken and somewhat hurt, but they were alive.

I've not been able to sleep properly ever since, because either my dreams are plagued by the memories or the pain of my wounds wake me up. Piper suggested to see someone about the dreams and I think I will. I'm scared, because it could have been any of my family and friends in that ride and it terrifies me to know that someone started it. This person wanted to cause harm. Maybe to the fairgrounds itself, but without a doubt they didn't think of the additional consequences.

Since my release from the hospital, I've been confined to my room. Mom has taken over the managing responsibilities, and together with Piper, keeps me posted on everything happening with the business. The area of the attraction has been shielded with panels to protect our guests from any debris left and fortunately, most of the building is still standing as the fire spread in the back. But I feel I can't stay here any longer and I know I'll risk an infection, but my heart is out there within the rides, the lights, the sounds, and the visitors. Listening to children laugh and scream fills me with joy, just like when I ride with Deirdre in the old carousel.

I feel sorry that I gave Charlie a hard time on some days while he was staying here during his recovery. Not being able to do what you love is enough to drive anyone crazy.

"Brian, are you decent?" Piper shouts from downstairs.

"What does it matter? You have seen me naked before."

"Are you dressed or not?" She asks with slight irritation.

"I am. Want to undress me?"

She doesn't respond, but then I hear the creaking of the stairs. "The chief of the police is here and wants to talk with you," Piper says from the door opening, her cheeks have a red tint.