Chapter 8: Helm's Deep

At last, they arrived in Helm's Deep and entered the fortress. "Make way for the king. Make way for Theoden. Make way for the king." Shouted the Herald and they went inside.

Niphredil dismounted. She saw Eowyn came toward the king. "So few. So few of you have returned." She said.

Theoden helped one of his men to dismount. "Our people are safe." He said and turned to Eowyn. "We have paid for it with many lives." he said and walked passed her.

Eowyn saw the three friends and walked to them. Gimli went ahead and Legolas and Niphredil followed him. "my Lady." He said to Eowyn.

Eowyn looked around. "Lord Aragorn, where is he?" she asked.

Gimli was silent for a second. "He fell." He said and then left there quickly. His eyes were teary. Eowyn looked at Niphredil and Legolas with wide and shocked eyes, but they only dropped their heads and went after Gimli. Their grief was too much.

A few hours later, Niphredil had stood in a balcony of one of the fortress' rooms, watching the plains. Arwen's necklace was in her hand. She was crying.

"Niphredil!" Called Legolas from behind. She saw him standing there with sadness written on his features.

"Arwen will die. She won't bear his death. I can't tell her. I don't have the courage to tell her." Said Niphredil. Legolas came closer and hugged her. he kissed her forehead and draw circles on her back.

"we will tell her somehow. It's alright." Said Legolas trying to make her calm.

"don't you dare to do the same thing to me, Legolas, don't you dare. I will die without you." Said Niphredil and cried harder.

Legolas tightened his hold and kissed her temple. They stood like that until Niphredil's crying subsided. Suddenly the door got opened and Hathan came in.

"my Lady, Niphredil. my Lord." He said excited and bowed. "you must come out. Lord Aragorn. He is alive. He's here."

Niphredil felt the rush of joy in her veins. They ran out of the room and to the main gate and there, they saw Aragorn walking up the stairs. His head was down, so he didn't saw them until he reached them and raised his head. His clothes were torn and he was dirty and bloody. Legolas looked at him up and down.

"You look terrible." He said with a fake disgust. The three of them started to laugh slowly. Niphredil touched Aragorn's arm. "don't do this to us again." she said happily and Aragorn smiled. "this is yours." She put the necklace in Aragorn's hand. He looked at her. "thank you, my lady." Said Aragorn. Niphredil smiled and nodded.

"come. I must see the king. Great danger awaits us." Said Aragorn and went inside.

They found Theoden in main hall. He was so happy to see Aragorn alive. Aragorn then explained that he had seen a great force coming to Helm's deep.

"A great host, you say?" asked Theoden.

"All Isengard is emptied." Said Aragorn.

"How many?" asked Theoden.

"Ten thousand strong at least." Answered Aragorn. A shiver ran through Niphredil's body.

"Ten thousand?" asked Theoden in disbelief.

"It is an army bred for a single purpose:" said Aragorn. "To destroy the world of Men. They will be here by nightfall."

Theoden's hands curled into fists. "Let them come!" he said angrily and walked out to the rampart. They all followed him.