Chapter 41: Waking up

'So we can become one'

Third Person POV

Jimin smirked as he saw Jungkook trying to manoeuvre Jennie into a more comfortable position. He looked rather unsure of what to do with the small human, finding it hard to figure out where he should hold her to make sure he didn't drop her. Jimin couldn't help but laugh at the sight, finding the picture of both Jennie and Jungkook looking at him for help with their big eyes oddly amusing.

"Jiminnnnn"

Jimin decided he'd watched Jungkook suffer enough, walking over to the comical pair, Jennie reaching out to her uncle with her small, chubby hands.

"Hello gorgeous."

Jimin happily placed Jennie on his hip, cradling her close to him so that she would settle. She didn't fuss, finding comfort in Jimin's hold compared to Jungkook's grasp. Jungkook visibly relaxed as the baby was removed from his hold.

"Thanks, Jimin."

Jimin smiled whilst he used a hand to amuse Jennie by letting her grip and pull on it. She was such an easy going baby which was good for the household that she was a part of. It was far too hectic as it was, never mind adding a screaming baby to the mix. That's why everyone tried to keep Jennie as happy as possible, so that they could all get on with work and keep what little peace and quiet they had for as long as possible.

"You not used to babies, huh?"

Jimin smirked at Jungkook's embarrassed state, seeing that he was visibly awkward with children. Rubbing the back of his head, he gave a sheepish smile.

"Not really. I was always the baby at the orphanage so I never dealt with younger kids much. Besides, Jin always treated me as a baby when he took me and Tae in so I guess the idea of actually being an adult to Jennie is a bit odd."

"Jungkook...you realise you kill people for a living right?"

Jungkook smirked, exposing his childlike mind.

"Yeah I know, and I know deep down I'm grown. I'm just not used to seeing or handling such a pure and innocent life."

Jimin frowned slightly, unsure of what type of past Jungkook had endured.

"Jungkook, how'd you meet everyone?"

Jungkook looked surprised at Jimin's question at first, but soon relaxed, his expression fading into one of reminiscence.

"Jin and Namjoon took me in from the streets."

"You lived on the streets?"

Jimin raised his eyebrows in shock whilst Jennie drooled on his shoulder.

"Yeah, only for a few weeks. The orphanage I was in was closed and we we're forced to leave. They didn't really care about us so the few kids that were left were told to find somewhere by ourselves. Wasn't an easy time."

"How old were you?"

"Um, 13 maybe? I didn't really know how old I was to be exact, they just gave me a birthday as a guess to how old I was when I was left at the orphanage in a box."

Jimin stood in shock as he watched Jungkook casually talk about his traumatic childhood. He was abandoned at a young age and then abandoned again when he was only just a teenager. And yet here he was looking as if it didn't bother him.

"So, how'd you get off the streets?"

Jungkook chuckled, smiling as memories came flooding back to him.

"I met Taehyung."

Jimin's focused gaze softened to one of happiness as he saw Jungkook's eyes wander off into his memories; his smile growing more and more.

"I bumped into him when I was digging through some bins in a fancy neighbourhood. They always had the best food that was wasted so I'd make trips around the neighbourhood at night to try and get a meal. I never got caught, apart from one night. I was terrified when I heard someone behind me, and wished I was dead when I felt a hand on my shoulder, but when I turned around to see who had found me rummaging through the bin, I had never been so grateful to be alive. He just looked so curious and welcoming. Instead of running away or calling for help, he asked me what my name was."

"I see Tae's always been a charmer then?"

"Oh yes. But I didn't know what to tell him when we met because, I was so shy. Besides, I never really had a name. The orphanage just gave us initials and mine was J. So he decided to give me a name."

Now Jimin really was surprised.

"Taehyung gave you your name?"

Jungkook laughed, rubbing his chin slightly.

"Well, not exactly. He decided to call me Kookie because that was in my hand when he found me in his bin. But, Jin soon gave me a full name and identity. Made fitting into the business a lot easier since I already didn't have an identity."

Jimin shook his head, imaging everything the best he could. He could just picture a small Taehyung smiling at the cute homeless boy in his bin. He truly hadn't changed. Still had a heart of gold.

"But, how did you meet Jin and Namjoon?"

"Well Tae already lived with them and I was at their house so he decided to drag me inside to have a bath."

"You had a bath with Tae at 13?!"

"No! I just cleaned up. He waited outside with clean clothes. Then he gave me some fresh cookies and tucked me up in his bed."

"Wasn't it strange to you?"

"Of course. But, I never felt out of place with Taehyung. In fact, that was the first time I'd ever felt that way. So I felt okay with cuddling with him in his comfy bed. I mean, it kept me warm."

Jimin laughed, finding the whole situation amusing.

"Didn't Jin find it weird seeing you in the morning?"

"Well...yes. He did scream and Namjoon did run in with a gun when they saw me and Tae cuddling in his bed. They thought I'd broke in or something and snuck into his bed. But, he soon explained everything and Jin basically swallowed me up in a hug, telling me I was his new baby pretty quickly."

"Sounds like Jin."

"Yeah, but now he has a real baby to look after. So, I'm a bit out of place again I guess."

Jimin looked over at Jungkook carefully, seeing him stare at Jennie with a look of love but also sadness. And in a way, Jimin understood. Jin and Namjoon where his first real family and now that they had their own little baby to care for, Jungkook and Taehyung would have to look after themselves. But Jimin could tell that Jungkook wasn't jealous of Jennie, he loved her as much as the rest of them. Instead, he just seemed to miss the old times. And that seemed to be why he was so scared of holding her. She was a source of happiness to his family, and so he felt nervous to be around her incase he upset her or hurt her, causing him to be excluded from the family. But Jimin was going to change that.

"Jungkook, want me to show you how to hold her?"

Jungkook raised his head, eyes wide in shock and worry but he still slowly nodded his head.

Walking over to Jungkook carefully, Jimin slowly moved Jungkook's arms so that there was room for Jennie to sit on his hip.

"Now, hold her here and here and...there you go."

Looking down at his hip, Jungkook smiled as if he'd just won a race, seeing Jennie's chubby cheeked face looking back up at him. For him, it felt like maybe he could be gentle. Maybe he could still be part of the family. And maybe one day, he could have his own if it was ever possible.

"Guys, you have t-...awww Kookie, look at you two!"

Jimin playfully rolled his eyes as Taehyung entered the room quickly running over to Jungkook and Jennie to give both of them a kiss.

"Why are you in a hurry?"

Taehyung's eyes suddenly widened as Jimin's question brought back the reason he had rushed down in the first place.

"Oh yeah! Jin's awake."