Chapter 1

Ten minutes to freedom.

My aching hand scribbled away the answers as I took deep, much needed breaths. If you panic, you forget.

I wrote. And wrote. Then I checked the time on my wristwatch.

Six minutes to freedom.

I analysed my paper. Only two questions left.

Writing. And writing. There was no time to check my answers.

"Five minutes remaining!" our invigilator announced.

Some people exhaled. Some even gasped. The tension settled in and silence ensued. No one had finished their paper yet.

One question to freedom.

Write. Write. Write.

The bell rang just as I put the period on my final sentence.

"Time's up!"

The invigilator began collecting the answer sheets. My roll number placed me on the last bench of the examroom, but I didn't dare copy.

Groans filled the air as the invigilator, a tall, strict female, cruelly snatched everyone's sheets. Not a second overtime.

As she reached the last bench, I gave her my paper and shut my pen's cap.

Freedom.

Freedom.

I let out a wonderful, hearty whistle, and the whole room erupted in cheers and shouts. The invigilator glared at me, but who cared? I wasn't going to see her again, anyway.

People hooted and high-fived each other, the difficult paper forgotten in the rush of excitement. No more exams. No more projects. No more studying. No more assignments. Only fun.

I grabbed my pouch and question paper from my table and rushed out of the crowded examroom, shoving people aside.

Free. Finally free.

I burst into the open corridor and threw my hands up in the air as my friend Anna rushed towards me, grinning and showing off her perfect white teeth, her curly black hair flying behind her.

"Freedom!" I yelled.

"Freedom!" she cheered.

People were rushing out of their examrooms, talking loudly amongst themselves and bustling all around us. A few teachers were trying to disperse the crowd, but no one heeded them.

The air was so full of excitement that it overwhelmed me. I laughed cheerfully, engulfing my dear friend Anna in a hug. I dropped my question paper in the process, and it immediately got stamped by the horde of excited students.

We were going to have so much fun.

When she let go, she instantly ambushed me with questions.

"Amy! What did you write for the last question?" Anna yelled over the crowd, shoving her question paper in my face. "They asked for any two differences, so I wrote-"