Sherlock Holmes

Mess With Him, Mess With Me - Sherlock Holmes

Request from rowanftm - thanks so much!

(it might be a little rough, I haven't written for a while. It takes a twist near the end!!)

((and the reader has more of a friendship with Sherlock than anything))

"... got that, guys?" You snap back to attention as Inspector Lestrade concludes his instructions for the morning. You've been doing the same thing for the last couple of weeks anyway, going over and organizing old cases into ancient filing cabinets. Looking around the room, you gather your papers into your briefcase and stand, stretching. As you're on the way out the door, you are stopped by a cold hand on your shoulder. You turn to see Philip Anderson, hair low over his eyes. He has a sinister grin on his face, and you brace yourself for the worst.
"Stuck on paper duty again, eh (L/N)?" he chimes, positively gleeful. You sigh inwardly. "Must get boring, detective, being stuck inside filing paper like a schoolgirl while all the men are out on cases." You bite the inside of your cheek and take a deep breath. He will not hurt you. He can't hurt you.

"Not at all, Anderson. I find myself quite entertained," you say coldly. "I know that when I am needed I will be put in the field." Anderson scoffs, and walks down the hall. You release a breath and your shoulders slump. As much as you try not to let his words get to you, you can't help but feel a sharp tug in your chest every time he insults you. Even though he's gone, you can feel the weight of his words burning, and it's like he's still staring at you. Straightening the cuffs of your crisp blue shirt, you brush it off as best you can, and walk back towards your desk. The pile of paperwork seems even less inviting than before as you sit down and click open your pen.

November 12, 2014

Case opened- November 2, 2014

Case concluded- November 12 , 2014

Case entailment- a mysterious gaseous leak near the Baskervilles base was discovered November 2, 2014. New Scotland Yard brought involvement November 9 of the same year. After failing to locate the supposed leak and/or intentional misuse of the gas after two weeks, help from one Mr. Sherlock holmes and one Dr. John Watson was included. Case was concluded by Holmes and Watson three days later.

You smile as you look at the document, recalling how clueless the Yard had been on the case, and how quickly John and Sherlock had resolved it. The man was truly a genius- you had met him twice, and in the space of those two meetings you had grown to look up the the man. His efficiency, his precision... his cold-cut take-nothing-from-anyone attitude. If only could brush things off as easily as he did.

A couple of files later, you are interrupted by Detective Bradstreet throwing down your coat to your desk, and you look up, an eyebrow raised. He looks down at you.

"Time to go, (L/N). We got a case, all hands on deck," he rushes. You stand quickly and tug on your coat, muttering a quick 'yes, sir' as you go. You follow him down the hallway, rousing other detectives from their desks.

"Sir, what's going on?" questions Agent LeBrun. His short strides struggle to keep up with yours and Bradstreet's. Bradstreet turns a sharp corner and you pivot hurriedly, flinging a hand to out to stop yourself from crashing into the wall. The detective sighs deeply, and his jaw clenches.

"Got a call from the curator down at the National Gallery, says there's someone with a gun threatening staff and patrons; the curator thinks he's looking to make off with some of the artifacts. We need to surround the building, and we're sending some people in to hopefully contain the armed man," Bradstreet reports, voice factual and crisp as always. You nod thoughtfully, and you feel Agent LeBrun do the same at your side.