34

April 19, 2019

People didn't talk about how one day could ruin your entire life too often. It was overseen in reality I suppose. Maybe a day ruining everything you had left was only something that happened in literature or in films. But I think otherwise. One day was all it had taken to ruin my happiness. That was what I deserved for putting my happiness in the hands of someone else. People always warned you not to do that, but I was stupid enough to do it. We all were at some point. When it came to love, we were all rebels. Rebellion with love could teach you the greatest lessons you'd learn in life or wreck you - or both.

I called in sick to work, knowing I'd get nothing done today besides day dreaming about the possible worst to happen today. I'd sit at my work desk doing everything except doing actual work.

"What are you gonna do?" Mom asked, dressing Jack in a new outfit that was...clean. He had puked all over his previous onesie and all over Mom's hair as she was holding him up in the air, playing some weird game with him. You'd think a mother of three and grandmother of three would know not to tease the laws of gravity after feeding a baby.

"I can't do anything." I replied, wiping down the dining table with a cloth. I could sit around at home all day moping around about why Ashton doesn't actually love me and why he's going to marry Sarah, but instead I picked up a bunch of house cleaning supplies and started disinfecting every surface I could.

"If you love someone you can't have them make a mistake as bad as the one Ashton is going to make." Mom spoke confidently. "You can still stop the wedding." She placed Jack in his swing, telling Eli and Ella that she would sit down with them in a little bit. She walked over to the kitchen, going through every cabinet I had until she found a bottle alcohol I forgot I had. "Tequila for the nerves and for some confidence, my love." She poured a shot of the liquid, handing it over to me.

"What's this for?" I held it up, already feeling the terrible burn in my throat that this drink would cause. Tequila had always been one of those drinks that I could taste in my mouth just by staring at the bottle.

"Talia, sweetheart, you're going down to Gotham Hall and stopping that shit show from happening." Mom smiled at me with one hand planted on her hip and the other holding her weight up on the counter.

"Mom, don't say bad words in front of the kids." I warned in a whisper.

"They'll be fine." My mom laughed. "Now drink up. Zoe will be meeting you outside the hall."

Zoe? My mom called my work assistant to assist me in ruining someone's wedding...She thought perfectly!

The burning sensation of tequila was a feeling no one should become numb to. I grabbed my phone, keys, and some cash, shoving them in my pocket while I said goodbye to my mom and the kids. Mom wished me good luck one last time before I was out the door because Mom knew I would need all the luck in the world for what I was about to do.

I hailed a cab without a problem. Cabs were always in this area. No one knew why.

"Where to?" The driver asked.

"Gotham Hall please." I locked eyes with the driver in the rear view mirror. "Make it quick. I've got a wedding to stop."

"That kinda thing, huh?" He pulled into the lane and sped off. "Why so eager to ruin a marriage?"

Why did cab drivers always do this? Why did they always feel the need to start a conversation with you? Sometimes even preach madness to you!

"Because it's the best thing to do." I replied dryly, staring at the window, imagining this vehicle going faster. "The guy I'm in love with is going to marry a no-good woman and I have to stop it from happening." While imagining the vehicle practically teleporting to Gotham Hall, I pulled together the perfect scenario of how this meeting could go while always thinking up the worst case scenario, but focusing more on the positive so I would get rid of the confidence I had.