Chapter 32

I thought you guys might like to know that whenever I see a comment that motivates me or just makes me happy or something, I'll screenshot it :)

I really do appreciate all of my readers because you guys make me feel so much better about my work! I always feel like I've done a bad job but you guys always remind me that it's not as bad as I think. Thank you all so much for that!

•••••

The first thing I did was cast an invisibility spell and a stealth spell. Normally, I'd be fine with just the invisibility, but I could still make noise if I was invisible and I didn't want to risk outing myself in that way.

My plan was to stay off to the sidelines as much as I could and to only intervene when necessary. I didn't want to just attack enemies who weren't doing anything, but rather I planned to help one of the pastas if they were caught in a tough spot.

That, and I also planned to serve as a sort of observer, or a protector. Basically, I would keep an eye on everything going on and if an enemy tried to attack someone who wasn't paying enough attention, I'd step in.

My main goal was to help out without being found out. No one could know that I was fighting alongside them.

I stalled inside the house for just a few moments longer, wanting to be sure everyone had left. Then, I hurried towards the door and slipped out.

The pastas were long gone and I had no idea which direction they went in. I didn't want to waste time guessing, so I cast a seeking spell.
Then, when I knew where they had gone, I went the same way.

I ran through the trees, breath pushing out of my mouth each time one of my feet hit the ground. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was ready for it.

Or at least I thought I was.

After a short period of time, I began hearing all the noise.

Shouting. Clanging. Ripping. Scraping. Crunching.

I could hear the hurried footsteps and the sounds of the trees and bushes moving. When I made it to the scene of the battle, it was a lot to take in.

We weren't fighting in an open field. Rather, we were fighting amongst the trees, which served to be both an advantage and a disadvantage. It gave us more cover, but it also gave the enemy more cover.

I climbed the nearest tree and situated myself quickly. My eyes scanned over the environment, looking for a way I could help.

I barely had time to think.

Jeff was locked in a knife fight. One body already lay on the ground near his feet, and another was creeping its way up to him.

Slenderman had been swarmed and his tendrils weren't quite enough to hold them all, but he kept fighting.

Ben had wires coming out of him, fighting with another who seemed to have a similar power. Someone was sneaking up on him too.

It was easy to say that we were outnumbered.
There were probably three or four times as many of them as there were of us.

It was chaos. I couldn't keep up with everything that was going on. The proxies were standing back to back, fighting off the Unknown. EJ and a few others had taken to the trees but still weren't any better off than the rest. I couldn't even see everyone from my position, but I knew they were fighting somewhere.

Jeff was being overwhelmed and I realized he was down to only one knife. He was surrounded on all sides and desperately swinging all around. I took a deep breath and leaped out of the tree I was in, landing on the ground in a roll. Then I raced towards him and pulled a knife of my own out.

I didn't think twice as I slashed the necks of three Unknown.

Jeff was so caught up fighting the others that he didn't seem to notice.

Now, the Proxies were being overwhelmed, so I ran towards them.

Gunshots whizzed by me and I ducked low to dodge the bullets. I pulled out my own gun and began shooting haphazardly. I slid onto the ground as another bullet came my way and immediately I felt a searing sort of pain in my leg. It must have scratched the ground too hard.

I grit my teeth and continued shooting until I ran out of bullets. It didn't take long.

Just as I was about to get up and see if anyone else needed help, someone was on top of me.

Long claws were on my throat and I struggled to push them away.

Someone knew I was here.

The claws pierced my throat the tiniest bit and that's when my senses came back to me and I cast a small fire spell, targeting their stomach.

They gasped and fell backward, but they weren't defeated. My eyes widened and I quickly lifted myself up. I cast a speed spell and put some distance between the two of us.

At this point, I was gasping for breath. My leg burned and I could feel blood trickle down my neck. My head was pounding, my eyes stung, and I could taste copper in my mouth.

I hurriedly climbed a tree and hid myself, trying to calm myself down. Meanwhile, I looked around me once again to get a grasp of my situation. I almost wish I hadn't though.

We weren't winning.

I watched right as Jane was knocked to the ground and stabbed in the chest with her own knife.

I saw an Unknown creep up behind Ben and I stumbled out of the tree towards him in an effort to stop the Unknown, but I was too late. The Unknown swiped at Ben and knocked him over, and then I lost sight of him as his body was swarmed.

Then, I noticed Hoodie on the ground bleeding and my mind immediately went to Toby.

Where was he?

I whipped my head all around, searching for him.

When I finally found him, my throat went dry.

He swung one hatchet desperately, the other long gone. Behind him was Masky, partially slumped over, but still fighting as best as he could.

However, they were being outnumbered.

A tingling sensation washed over me and I realized that the invisibility spell had worn off. I quickly ducked for cover and hid myself.

A sense of fatigue washed over me, and I realized that it wouldn't be a good idea to cast another spell. I needed to conserve the energy.

What was I supposed to do?

My family was in peril all around me, being slowly defeated as I contemplated my next move. I choked back tears and gripped my hair in my hands.

I wasn't ready for this.

I thought I was, I really did.

I had trained so hard. I thought I had built up enough stamina.

But I guess I had never really been prepared to be in a war. How does one practice for that without actually being in one?

The smell of blood overwhelmed me. I was sweating hard, gasping for air, lungs burning, and trying to ignore the pain I was in.

Then the thought crossed me that we might not win this war. Zalgo had been defeated, so what were the chances that we'd be any better?

I clenched my fists as tears rolled down my face.

I didn't ask for this.

I had only started out as a slave.

This wasn't part of the deal.

None of this was.

•••••
1290 words

Thoughts? Comments? I'd really like feedback on this part, and I'll probably go back and edit this later if you guys think it could use some editing.

Anyway, I hope it was at least a little enjoyable.

Unedited
Like honestly this was a little bit rushed.