Chapter Nineteen

The funeral was a miserable affair, and Richard was nowhere to be seen.

Allie's heart throbbed with worry as she wondered where he could have hidden himself away, and why he had not seen fit to attend his own father's funeral.

Fortunately, most of those in attendance were kind people, close to the family, and did not mistake Richard's absence for something that it was not. In fact, more whispers of sympathy were heard in comparison to mean ones.

Cassie, morbid though it was, had had the foresight to pack mourning clothes for all three of them, and so Alexandra found herself dressed in a heavy gown of black silk, with a black half-veil. Cassie was dressed similarly, as were the rest of the ladies.

George Kensington had been buried in the family crypt, along with his parents, siblings and his late wife. It was a sad moment for, although Allie did not truly know him very well, he'd been so kind to her in the time she had spent with him and his family.

As the crowd began to disperse, Allie searched the area in vain, hoping that perhaps Richard had hidden himself out of sight but had still attended. Unfortunately, he was nowhere to be found.

When they returned to Kensington Place, Allie found that she was quite exhausted from having to greet the mourners and accept their condolences as the family's unofficial representative. However, she was determined not to rest until she located Richard and ascertained his well-being.

They had not caught sight of him in the week since his father's death. He had burrowed himself into some corner of the house and only the butler, Worth, knew his whereabouts. He took no meals with the rest of them nor did he sleep in his own bedchamber. Allie was fraught with worry, and hoped that Richard hadn't done anything idiotic.

Her realisation that she loved him did not embarrass her any longer and, now, it only fuelled her determination to find him and help him in any way that she could. That was the least she could do.

She unbuttoned her gloves and removed her veil, handing both off to Cassandra as she asked her to leave them in her chamber. The servants had all attended the funeral, as all of them had worked for the Duke for years and were well aware of his kindness. So, Mr. Worth was not difficult to locate and she steeled her nerves in preparation to demand to know her fiance's whereabouts.

"Mr. Worth." She called, and the middle-aged butler bowed briefly before asking what milady required. "I must know where Richard is. This has gone on for far too long and I need to know where he has squirrelled himself so that I might drag him out of there."

"Milady, I do not think Master Richard would appreciate my obliging you." Worth's tone was regretful and reluctant, and Allie knew that he could easily be persuaded with a little more pressing.

"Mr. Worth, I am sure he is in no fit condition to know what is good for him. He might wish to be alone, but he shouldn't be alone, not now. I am sure you, having seen him, know this to be true. I wish to help him and, to do that, I must know where he is." Allie pleaded, her voice firm. By the end of it, however, she had let slip an overwrought yet genuine quiver into her voice and this was exactly what softened the butler's resolve as he swallowed, his eyes displaying sadness.

"He is in the abandoned study in the left wing, milady. It has been unused for years and is in no fit condition to even be entered. He has been drinking all week and, I must confess, I do not think he is in any state to be coherent or even to understand his own self." Judging by the reproach that had entered Mr. Worth's tone, he had let slip more than he had intended to.

Allie nodded, heart clenching as she replied, "I know where the left wing is. Thank you for telling me, Mr. Worth. I will do my best to help him."