iii. the vision

Note: In Age of Ultron, there is a deleted scene where Thor consults the Norns instead of the "water spirits" about his vision.

This chapter is written around this scene rather than the original.

A M O R A

Amora held a single strand of fate in her hands, looking down at the others on the ground around her.

For several months, she had only been allowed to observe the Norns as they worked. Now she was finally able to do it herself.

She thought that she would be excited about it. She had been. But now that she literally held someone's fate in her hands, it was less than appealing.

It's simple, she told herself, Just tie them together.

She did not have much experience with weaving, but she was capable of tying two strings together.

Tying two people. Binding two fates.

"What happens when we bind their fates?" she asked.

"It depends," Urd spoke, her eyes boring into the complicated pattern that combined multiple strings.

"On what?"

"Them." Urd motioned to the string in Amora's hand. "You can have plans when you determine someone's fate, but they are not perfectly bound to it. Just as they are not completely independent of it."

Urd went on. "They can live their lives together or they can die together. They can save each other or they can kill each other." She shrugged. "But no matter what happens, they are bound to each other."

Amora picked up another string and held the two together. "How is there any order in that?"

"There isn't." Urd motioned to her dark-haired sister. "Skuld is the one who balances the scales."

The blonde witch leaned forward, propping on her knees. Her lip twitched up in a smirk. "What did you think my sisters and I were when you first arrived?"

Amora glanced down, still feeling foolish. "The past, present, and future."

"Don't look so embarrassed, girl." Skuld's nearby voice startled Amora. The younger sorceress looked up to see the Norn towering over her.

"You're to be a Norn witch." Skuld gave a small shrug. "And you're only two-thirds wrong."

Urd chuckled. "Yes, for all of your feats, you Asgardians have always been simple-minded."

"You were Asgardians once," Amora countered.

"That was long ago." Skuld waved her off. "Now, what are we truly?"

Amora nodded to Urd. "You're Fate. Verdandi is the Present." She craned her neck up to Skuld. "And you're Debt, what must come."

Skuld gave the barest of smiles. "Good. You're finally learning."

"Oh!" Verdandi jumped to her feet, moving to the edge of one of her pools. "We have a visitor."

Urd dropped her work, and Skuld made her way over to her sister with Amora following close behind.

Amora leaned closer to Urd. "What is it?"

"The Water of Sight," she answered, "Someone wants us to show them something."