*Prologue*

A/N: Hey, look, this is new! ;) Just a little something while I'm editing 'Lizzie'.

"God, it's freezing," I shiver, tugging my coat around myself more tightly. 

It was New Years' Eve and Rose, mum, and I just left the flat. We've got to walk because mum's worthless lump of a boyfriend was a no show to give us a lift. 

"We're late now, we've missed it," Rose complains after she'd checked her watch, her arm around my waist as she snuggles me for warmth. "It's midnight," she pouts. 

"Mouse'll be calling you everything," I smile, sticking my tongue out when she jabs my ribs. 

"This is your fault," Rose huffs, glaring at mum.

"No, it's not, it's Jimbo," mum shoots her a look over her shoulder, fixing her scarf. "He said he was going to give us a lift, then he said his axle broke, I can't help it!"

"Get rid of him, mum," I tell her for the umpteenth time.

"He's useless," Rose agrees. 

"Listen to you two: single and with a mechanic," mum scoffs, making Rose roll her eyes and I sigh. "Be fair though, my time of life, I'm not gonna do much better," she mutters quietly. 

"Don't say that," I frown, stepping away from Rose and getting in front of mum so I could put my hands on her upper arms. "You're beautiful and brilliant and you can do a hell of a lot better than Jimbo," I tell her seriously.

"You never know, there could be someone out there," Rose steps forward, nudging mum with her hip and giving her a tongue-in-teeth grin. 

"Maybe... one day," mum sighs, pulling Rose and me into a three-way hug. "Happy New Year," she squeezes us tightly.

"Happy New Year!" Rose and I giggle, me swaying the three of us from side to side. 

"Don't stay out all night," I tell mum as we pull away.

"Try and stop me," mum sends me a wink, heading off in the direction of the pub down the road. 

"Come on, we've got to get to the party before Mickey throws a fit that we ain't there," Rose takes my hand in hers - intertwining our fingers - and she starts to drag me off. 

"Why did I agree to go again? You're perfectly capable of getting smashed without me," I groan, not wanting at all to interact with Mouse's stupid mates.

"Cause it's good for you to get out once in a while and you can get smashed with me," she retorts, grinning at me over her shoulder as she pulls me behind her. "You spend too much time at home by yourself, Lizzie," she squeezes my hand. 

I sigh, knowing she was right and that I should spend more time with other people. I was twenty-one years old and I never go out unless Rose or Mouse force me. Wasn't my fault... people didn't really fancy having me around and when they did, it was to get me to have one of my moments. 

A grunt of pain from behind us makes Rose and I both come to a stop. I turn around, frowning when I see a man leaning against a wall. The man was tall from what I could tell - hidden by shadows - and there was another man beside him that he had his arm around for support.

"You alright, mate?" Rose asks and the man nods in reply.

"Had too much to drink, have you?" I raise an eyebrow, eyeing him in concern.

"Something like that," the other man chuckles. 

"Maybe it's time you went home," Rose suggests and they both mutter a 'yeah'. "Anyway... Happy New Year," she smiles. 

"Happy New Year," I give a shy wave with my free hand. 

"And you," drunk nods and I start to pull Rose away. "What year is this?" his question has us stopping again.

"Blimey, how much have you had!?" Rose asks him incredulously. 

"Quite a few pints actually. John can't hold his alcohol to save his life," the other man tells us and I can feel his amused smirk radiating off him.

"Quiet you," drunk grabs him by the head, ruffling his hair and I cover my mouth, hiding my snort. 

"Oi, I just fixed my hair," the other man whines, letting the drunk lean against the wall by himself so he could reach up to smooth his hair. 

"It's 2005, January 1st," I tell them, trying really hard not to laugh with Rose having a similar problem beside me.

"2005?" drunk asks and I nod, my eyebrows furrowing slightly at his almost nostalgic tone. "Tell you what: I bet you're both going to have a really great year..."

"Brilliant, in fact," the other man tells us.

"Yeah?" Rose asks with an amused smile. "See ya," she drags me off. 

"Get home safe!" I call over my shoulder to the two.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed it, let me know! :*