Chapter Forty Four

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Forty Four

"Is this really necessary?" I ask Hunter while he walks with me outside of the apartment complex to where Jake Miller is sitting in his car alongside the front of the building

My hand in securely within his grip. "Yes, yes it is." I could've sworn he said this through gritted teeth. It's safe for me to assume that he doesn't like the plans today, and wanted to come along with us.

I nearly laughed when I tried leaving the apartment and he began acting like a parent taking their child to a play date. I feel as if I'm being passed over and be told my special instructions that have to be followed.

Jake looks out of the passenger side window, his smile melting away when he sees Hunter walking me to his car with a displeased look on his face.

Jake pulls of his sunglasses and clears his throat. Hunter opens the passenger door for me to slip in. "Hey Hunt-"

"I don't like of any of this. It would've been easier if you rescheduled to wait for me." My boyfriend immediately silences Jake who has a defeated sigh escaping his lips.

Hunter closes my door, but bends down enough to speak to Jake through the open window. "Yeah I figured that-"

"I'm being serious, Jake." Once again, Hunter interrupts him. "I want you to drive so slow and safely that you'll make the old ladies look like race car drivers. I want Becky in between you two at all times, and I want Lollipops in one piece. If she's not, or one hair on her head is missing- you're the one I'm coming for, Miller."

I nearly shudder at the list of requests and the tone of his voice. The last time I was in a car with Jake driving, things hadn't gone so well. It's clear there is still a lot of unresolved trust issues between the two- another one being that Hunter is aware Jake had kissed me months ago.

"Yes, of course I'll make sure she's safe, but that's ridiculous! I've known her for a lot longer than you have, you don't need to make Becky be Switzerland." Jake exclaims with a laugh in the mix.

Through it all, Jake understands the worry from Hunter. After all, he was the one who pulled both of us out of the wreck.

"Gosh," I huff out and lean back into the seat. Both boys turn their eyes to me. "You two need to stop acting like you're both in love with one another, otherwise you're going to make me jealous."

Like I hoped, the comment writhers under their skin. They share a look of disgust.

"Him?" Jake says dramatically while pointing at Hunter. "That's disgusting! I swear Lolita, you welcomed Satan's spawn into our lives." I laugh at their horror, although to me, it's clear they have a very weird relationship. "Alright, hurry it up. We have to go."