1

Present Day

Mateo stood in the throne room, looking at the empty seat of his chosen mate.

He was soon to turn 30, an age where he should be enjoying fatherhood. Yet, here he was...alone. Since his eighteenth birthday, he had attended The Choosing, but none of the candidates had spiked his interest. There was one or two, who had gained his interest, but as usual their true colors had shown.

His brother and sister had found their mates. His father had been correct, only a strong man could handle his sister, now she was mated to a neighbouring pack Alpha and soon their family was going to expand.

Luke had found a human mate, someone whom complimented his quiet nature, someone that brought out his Alpha protectiveness. They had two children.

Sighing, he walked over to his throne, sitting down. He looked around him, the vast emptiness, reflecting his mood.

Deep in thought, he didn't hear anyone come in, slightly jumping in defence, when a strong hand clamped down on his shoulder, "Son...what is wrong?" His father spoke. Mateo's shoulders relaxed, hearing his father's voice.

"When will I find her? How much longer? I'm tired of waiting!" He muttered, frustration in his voice, his hands clenching into fists.

"Only the Goddess knows..." He father responded.

"I know!!!" He interrupted his Dad, "But, this waiting is killing me. I've been King since the age of twenty five, by that age you already had mom, expecting your first child. I'll be thirty soon, yet no mate to help support me in my burden. I hear the rumours around, everyone wondering if I'm capable to lead without my mate. They wonder if I'll go crazy, become brutal. And they might be correct!" Knowing that his moods had soured over time, he rarely smiled these days. Keeping everyone at bay. Looking up at his Dad, "Maybe I'm not worthy. Maybe I should step down as King. Let someone stable and mated lead. My wolf is restless, I worry that he'll become aggressive to those close to me, perhaps hurting them in a jealous rage."

His father sat down next to him, staring forward, silently contemplating. Then he spoke, "I understand. I respect your decision. But, I'll ask only one favor. Do the following choosing and if you don't find her, I'll accept your choice of stepping down. Do that for me and your family."

Slumping in defeat, he huffed out, "I'll do it, but mark my words...if she is not found...I no longer will be king."

"Thank you, that's all I ask." Standing up, his father patted his back, nodding.

After his father left, Mateo sat there alone, thinking with conviction, if his mate is not found at this next choosing, he would leave and wander the world as a lone wolf, with no ties to anyone...