25 | heart of gold

When Jovie eventually pulled back from the hug, she reached up to brush her hair out of her face. She suddenly became aware that she still looked how she did with her hair in tight braids and the black surrounding her eyes. At first she thought Bellamy was just going to get mad again when he realized the same, but this time he suddenly looked a lot less serious and instead had a smirk on his face.

"You do look hot as hell though, I'll give you that," he then said, taking her by surprise.

"Fuck off," she said, making him laugh. He didn't laugh like that very often but Jovie loved when he did. The smile went up to his eyes and he looked genuinely happy, like the weight of the world wasn't constantly on his shoulders. Jovie suddenly thought of something and smiled. "Hey, is there any of Monty's moonshine left?"

"Really? That's what you're thinking about? As if you couldn't have almost just been killed?" Bellamy said. Jovie brushed it off with a shrug.

"I've almost been killed a lot. It's nothing new," she said casually. "Besides, that's even more of a reason to drink." Bellamy rolled his eyes but she knew he was amused. Before he could answer her, she walked off to find Monty.

She peaked her head into his tent and smiled when she saw he was sleeping. She crept over and poked his cheek, just like he had when they were first on the dropship coming down here. His eyes fluttered open but he must not have realized it was her because he screamed and she just laughed. "Calm down, it's just me. You got any moonshine left?" He put his hand on his chest as he breathed heavily.

"I really hate you sometimes," he muttered, though they both knew he didn't mean that. He was just startled.

"Love you too," Jovie teased. "So, that moonshine?" Monty sighed before pushing himself up and reaching over to grab a small container from his bag.

"I was going to save it but you're lucky I like you," he said as he handed it to her.

"I thought you hated me," she joked as she took the container from him.

"Take it before I change my mind," he said with a smile. She smiled back and thanked him before heading back to Bellamy.

"Care to join?" She asked as she took a swig from the container. He laughed and reached out his hand to take the drink from her. As he did so, she started taking her braids out of her hair to let it down into loose waves. She wiped away the black from her eyes and sighed. It had once again been a long day and she was just ready to relax before something else would inevitably happen again.

Jovie and Bellamy sat side-by-side on a log near the fire as they silently passed the drink back and forth. Most of the delinquents were in for the night, besides a few stragglers that sat by the other fire in the camp and the ones on guard.

Bellamy found himself glancing over at Jovie. The wind was blowing her hair around as her blue eyes stared deeply into the fire. Her features were so sharp, but there was also a softness to them. She had a natural beauty to her and a presence that was impossible to ignore. He had noticed that the first time he saw her back on the Ark when she was getting arrested.

He wasn't sure if it was because of the alcohol or if she was just actually calm at the moment, but he had never seen her look so peaceful. Usually she looked so angry and intimidating, like if she thought she let her guard down they would see that she was actually just tired of fighting. But he found her to be more beautiful in this moment. It's not that he didn't think she was any other time because frankly, she was one of the most beautiful girls he had ever seen, but when she let go of her hard exterior like she was doing now, he just saw a girl that had a heart of gold.

"Stop staring at me," she suddenly said, breaking him out of his trance. She had a smile on her face and she had said it in a teasing way, but his cheeks burned regardless at the fact that she had caught him staring at her. She took a sip of the drink before handing it to him again.