17 | Outsiders

New Hampshire, January 1955

ONCE THEY MARRIED, Tony and Carlotta drove down a series of winding mountainous roads, steering away from craggy cliffs and boulders, tires bumping against the eroding pavement. They were unsure of their intended location, but Carlotta proclaimed she would know where they would settle when she saw it.

She chose Merrimack Valley.

Merrimack Valley was a humble enclave, hemmed in between snow-capped mountains and a meandering river. It was unlike anything Carlotta had seen before, posing a great juxtaposition to the Brooklyn of her childhood, which is precisely why she had selected it as their new residence.

Oak, beech and maple trees fanned out above them in a canopy of snow heaped leaves; which had been eaten away because of a recent series of blizzards and rough winter winds. The harsh scent of peat saturated the air, making everything seem earthy and untouched by the pomp of the city behind them. Only a few gas stations and one or two churches passed them as they sped by. Other than a handful of farmers and bicyclers, they had spotted few people.

The couple drove further, through the woods and down Interstate 93, sinking deeper and deeper into a wilderness they had never known.

They reached the barren town of Hooksett. True to its name, Hooksett was hook-like watershed land buried into the belly of a peaking mountain and embraced by the Merrimack River and Heads Pond. The town was more of a village than anything, for many of the inhabitants were lumber mill workers who had left in mass exodus when their jobs began disappearing to southern states.

When the engine of Tony's automobile began puttering and gasping for fuel, they pulled over to a Texaco gas station to appease it.

While Tony went inside to pay a lumberjack looking man with a flannel shirt and a tawny beard, Carlotta sauntered over to the other side of the road, peering down at Hooksett from above. She was eager to stretch her legs—they hadn't ceased driving in hours, and the freezing morning air felt good against her naked face.

The town below didn't house many buildings—only a few shack-like homes and a couple of convenient stores, grocers, and a single old-fashioned schoolhouse with a long, triangular roof. It was nothing like she had ever seen before.

Carlotta's heart fluttered as she pictured her new life. She imagined it, with their humble one-story bungalow and bundle of giddy children but reminded herself that she no longer needed to. Her dream of eloping with Tony Bellucci was becoming her reality. She wanted to squeal and giggle in a fit of euphoria.

Married life was more wonderful than she ever could've imagined. She adored being with Tony. Knowing the love of a husband was better than described by love poems and motion pictures and novels—it was too good to be put into words.

She whirled around again to face the gas station, watching Tony and the lumberjack man exchange a stiff handshake.

Tony ushered her over with a quick movement of his hand.

She gladly complied, joining him at his side. He looped an arm around her, his powerful frame against her soft one, reminding her once again that he was her husband.

Nonchalantly, he combed his hand through her dark curls, not caring about being in the presence of a stranger.

He had never been so bold when they were going steady for fear of being found out by her father or the other wise guys. Now that they were free, he could smother her with affection in public as much as he wanted.

Once again, Carlotta felt a tremor of happiness jolt through her.

"Carlotta, this is Ed." Tony introduced Carlotta to the lumberjack man. "He says he knows someone willing to let us rent for a couple days before we get back on our feet."