01. Top Of The Awkward Scale

The sun beamed down on me, causing sweat to bead at my temples. I wanted to wipe it away, but my hands were currently occupied with carrying two toddlers.

Taylor and Ava were talking their undecipherable baby talk and pointing at random cars as I walked as fast as I could to the car. Thankfully, Deshaun was already inside, the air conditioning on full blast.

He hopped out the car, relieving me of Ava and we worked simultaneously to strap them in their car seats, which the two babies fought hard against. By the time we had them situated and the two of us were sitting up front we were sweaty and panting like dogs. You would've thought we just ran a marathon instead if picked two toddlers up from daycare.

I'd finally caught my breath when Deshaun pulled out of the Tiny Sprout's parking lot.

"Thanks, again, for the ride," I said, glancing over at him.

His eyes were trained on the road as he shrugged it off. "I was heading up here anyway."

I glanced back at Ava who was trying to take her little white sandals off. She looked so much like her brother. Same dark skin, small eyes and curly black hair. Deshaun currently had his curls covered with a white baseball cap. I resisted the urge to snatch it off of him.

"Still," I said, folding my hands in my lap. "I appreciate it. You didn't have to. Especially not after—"

"Jade." I'd never heard my name in sharper tone. He sent me a warning glance before turning back to the road.

The only sounds for the rest of the ride were from the A.C. and the babbling of two one year olds who just discovered spit bubbles.

Was there anything in the world that was more awkward than having to call the guy you dumped a month ago and ask him for a ride? No. There wasn't. This was the absolute top of the awkward scale.

When Deshaun stopped in front of my house I grabbed Taylor's car seat out the back. Before closing the backdoor, I looked at Deshaun up front. His wrist rested on the steering wheel as he stared out the window. Through the rearview mirror I caught the hurt in his eyes.

"I'm sorry." My apology was met with Ava blowing a raspberry. As soon as I shut the door Deshaun drove off. I was gutted to watch him go. The guilt made feel hollow inside.

Calling him really was my only option, though. And it wasn't a decision I made lightly. If our stupid car hadn't over heated or if Bee had answered her phone or if I had the money for an Uber, that long awkward drive could've been avoided.

Taylor began to fuss so I carried her inside. The moment I released her from her seat she was off, heading straight for Mom who was curled up in an arm chair watching some evening talk show.

I was jealous of my sister for being small enough to climb into Mom's lap. I could us a mother's embrace at the moment. Instead I plopped down on the couch and kicked my shoes off. I let out a deep sigh as I fell back, sinking into the cushions.

"Was it that bad?" She asked in between tickling Taylor.

"It was worse." I groaned. "Please tell me we're getting the car fixed." Riding with Deshaun could not happen again.

Now my mom sighed heavily. "It'll take a while to come up with the money."

"Can't you go to the garage in some skin tight dress and seduce them?"

She smacked her lips, but laughed nonetheless. "Well figure it out."

That seemed to be her new favorite phrase. There was a lot of stuff we were figuring out. Like how to make rent or buy diapers or how I was going to pay for college.