2 ★ Hang the DJ

𝕡𝕒𝕟𝕚𝕔 - 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕊𝕞𝕚𝕥𝕙𝕤

"The music that they constantly play

it says nothing to me about my life

hang the bloody DJ"

Hendrix POV

"Come on, Hen! Have a drink, let loose. Live a little!" Stacey hollers louder than necessary to be heard over the booming music. The pounding of the base and the cheers of people drive my head into a new level of hurt.

It's a big party, and one of the first nights since school started that we can actually do something to take our minds off of studying.

College does seem like a very mature thing, but my best friends and I are only 18. Which, if I remember correctly, is under the legal drinking age, thank you very much.

"I'm good." I insist, holding up my red solo cup filled with Mountain Dew, though I've only taken a few sips here and there. The acidic taste isn't exactly my cup of tea, but it's the only non-alcoholic beverage available here.

Stacey's pretty face scrunches up in disapproval, but she continues dancing with fast, jittery movements that somehow come across graceful. The girl couldn't look clumsy if she tried.

Her short, black hair is full of pink streaks that catch the flashing lights as she twirls and laughs. A pair of cat ears perched on her head.

Stacey is the epitome of a partier, and she isn't afraid to show it.

As cliche as it sounds, I have always hated parties. Not that I feel like I'm somehow above people who do enjoy the party scene, but it's definitely not my scene.

The humidity between the sweaty bodies, the stench of beer on every person's breath, and the constant crowd of leering guys catcalling and flirting like there's no tomorrow. It's all too chaotic.

I can't see how anyone can find it fun, but to each their own I suppose.

And then there's the music, oh how I hate the music. It's always the same. Loud, pulsing pop and rap songs that millennials eat up like a five course meal.

Stacey and Miranda, my two best friends, call me a music snob for my complaints. I consider myself more of a music expert, personally.

I don't judge people for liking what's on the radio. Music is freedom, and that's what's so great about it. Everyone has their own, personal taste.

Party music just makes me... sad.

There are millions of songs, albums, and genres. Music has been recorded since the 1870's, that's almost 150 years worth of music, but people still insist on listening to what everyone else is listening to.

I can never understand why anyone would settle for exclusively listening to what's popular when there is a whole world of recorded music to discover, that's all it is. No snob here. Not me.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, but that does not make me some hipster.

"Waaaahooo!!!" Stacey slurs, and I look up to see her sitting on a football player's broad shoulders.