C h a p t e r 3 - two left feet

Alice's POV:
"Well that was a train wreck", I think out loud. I thought about what I had said and how I made a fool of myself. I realized how my ex was right, I really did have no filter. Not to add to the fact that I didn't tell him that I wasn't interested. I mean how could I be interested this is Oliver KINGSTON we're talking about. 

I knew that my mom would call me as soon as I got home. I really wouldn't even be surprised if she was following me to my date.

My phone rang and I dug it out of my purse. Before I even put the phone to my ear I could hear the questions that pouring out.

"Mom, it was nice and he was nice but I'm really tired and busy I'll call you later, love you."

My mom sighs, "sweetheart that's good to hear, please get well soon, do you want me to come over?" She asks genuinely concerned.

"Don't worry mom I'll be fine," I reply before ending the call.

Right away my mind goes to Oliver. He changed a lot since I last saw him. He was always good-looking and the girls always liked him but the years have only done him good. I'm getting ahead of myself. Stop thinking of a guy you hated Alice he's a playboy with a rich daddy.

It was really hard for me to say why I hated him I mean when we were kids he was kind of a snob. However, people can change, right? Maybe I shouldn't judge so hard.

I hear my phone buzzing and I look at it, it was Maya. I answer and I also go deaf in one ear as she screams questions into my ear. And one by one I answer.

"Was he nice?"

"Mostly"

"His he rich?"

"I don't know"

"Are you going to see him again?"

"I'm not sure!.... wait how did you know I was going on a date?"

"Umm... I may or may not have eavesdropped on you and your parents' conversation, but that's not important tell me more about Oliver."

I made a dumb excuse to try and end the conversation, I love Maya, but I didn't want to talk to anyone right now.

"Hey, Maya...I forgot it was garbage day I have to so I have to go bye" I hung up on her. I promise I'm not mean I'm having one of those days.

... three months later...

Not a lot happened in the past months I didn't see Oliver again and I had gotten out of my breakup phase, God bless Maya she was a real trooper during those times.

My parents told me that it would also be good for me if I tried to socialize a bit more. So I'm going to this formal business event with my parents.

My mom and I went dress shopping and got a beautiful gown that had a sheer gold bodice. It had lace and beading on it. The skirt part was maroon, silky, and long that it could cover my feet. I almost forgot the best part of has pockets!

 I almost forgot the best part of has pockets!

(Picture for reference)
...

The day of the party had arrived and I was excited. I mean I looked good today! Anyway, I wore flats because I knew I would fall over if I wore heels also I didn't want to step on anybody's feet.

We arrived at this huge venue, once we got in my parents were pulled away from me and I was left there to wander on my own.

A familiar face passed by and came around. "Didn't expect you to be here," said Oliver. I replied, "well I was feeling good today." He smiled at me and I gave him one too. Maybe he wasn't as bad as I thought. While I was lost in thought someone pulled him aside. It was Bentley Gages, he was an aristocrat and was always well spoken of. His father is a wealthy businessman who did all kinds of trade and his mother was a  restaurant owner.

I never liked Bentley he was always the rich boy and he never forgot that. The only person with more money than he had was Oliver's father, so when they moved away Bentley saw no threat.

That's one of the reasons why I don't go to parties like these anymore. Everyone here is practically a snob and here to show off how much money they have in their safes. I decided to move away but just as I was about to I heard Bentley talk about a girl, I mean I could care less about it but they shouldn't have been speaking so loud.

"She decides to show her face after all these years, what an attention seeker! I can't believe you went on a date with her!" Bentley said in a disgusted tone.

Then it hit me, they were talking about me! I didn't know how to feel, on the one hand, I wanted to smack them across the face, on the other I wanted to run away as far as possible. I choose to slowly walk away before I heard any more hurtful things. I didn't even wait for him to answer he was just like the others. Just as my luck would have it I ran into my parents who were talking to Oliver's parents. They turn and face me.

"Sweetheart, did you see Oliver? Goodness, you look wonderful."Added Mrs. Kingston.

God, why does that woman have to be so nice and have a son like Oliver? As I was thinking Mrs. Kingston asked someone to get Oliver, after a few seconds he came over with an innocent smile like he hadn't just shit talked about me literally behind my back. I controlled myself from eye-rolling and just walking away, trust me it was one of the hardest things I've done that night.

"Oh the dance floor seemed to have some space why don't you two go dance," my mother said.

I couldn't believe it! My own mother betrayed me by making me dance with the person I now despised. Before I even could protest we were pushed together onto the practically empty floor. This is when I realized that I had to watch what I did since everyone's eyes were on us. This meant that I couldn't "accidentally" step on Oliver's feet.

He put his left hand around my waist, pulling me closer and held my left with his right. I reluctantly put my right hand in his other hand and we slowly started swaying to the music. I think it was a waltz but my appreciation of the complexity of the piece was cut short by Oliver talking to me.

"Umm, sorry I left, Bentley...uhh"

"Wanted to talk to you" I finished for him.

"Yup.....So how are things going with your job?"
Of course, you want to know about my job, you money-hungry man whore.

"Well, everything is great!" I tried to say not trying to sound infuriated.

"So we didn't really get to talk much last time we saw each other but I guess you know why they want us to dance together, right?" He asked cautiously.

"Yes, I know!" I said back aggressively.

At this point a few eyes were on us I think Oliver caught on as well because he quietly whispered to me "I think we should find a more empty place." I think he thought I said yes because we started moving away until the crowd had engulfed us. Our parents were looking for us as I could see them scanning the premises. Before I even knew it we were outside, behind the venue there was a little garden with a few benches. He told me to sit and after making sure that the seat wasn't wet I sat down. He sat beside me and we continued our conversation.

Word count: 1275

Hey guys thanks for all the reads I really appreciate it. Sorry for the late update I'm travelling right now but I got this out so be proud of me. I didn't publish Oliver's part today because it would have taken forever so I'm updating that part later.