Chapter Forty Nine: Anything Goes

It was sundown and the game was about to begin. 

Varnaulk was to be the games announcer and drones using referee software were going to be sending him data telling him what to say.

The teams took their places at the foot of the canyon. Below them was a monument to LyrAndal, it was a very large statue with two hands that had palms facing upwards. On the top of the palms were three small drones with little flags that were the colors red, blue and green. 

Each flag was made with a shiny space worthy reinforced fabric that could not be torn easily.

As the teams stood in their starting locations over the cliff of the canyon, Sam began to notice how deep it was. He was in awe at how intricate some of the patterns were in the carvings made by ancient Tigris over a thousand years ago. 

There were many temple entrances, pillars, statues and signs of previously built civilizations carved into the walls. Sam began to think the stone must have been very strong and cut with something even stronger as there were no signs of erosion in the ancient structures. His mouth dropped at its magnificence.

"Getting scared?" Kenneth shouted at him.

Suddenly there was a great loud roaring sound as the large and powerful hover bikes of Kenneth's team made their way automatically to the starting location and stopped in front of each player. 

Kenneth hopped on his hover bike and began to make engine revving sounds. 

This was a soundless design Sam knew, the sounds were being produced by a large speaker that Kenneth installed in each bike as a means to intimidate Sam and his team.

"Hey freak boy! Where's your ride?" Kenneth asked.

"Papi!" Sam smiled and turned to shout.

As Kenneth and his team revved their engines the Olliniqus appeared flying low and slow over the horizon. When they landed in front of each player on Sam's team, Kenneth laughed at them. 

Papilliowalayo came and fluttered over Sam making a slow landing, he seemed really happy to see Sam. He jumped up and down ruffling his fluffy fur as he made cooing and trill sounds.

"Dorky butterflies? PFTTTTTTTTT! HAHA!" Kenneth remarked and scoffed at their choice of vehicle for Extreme Droneflag.

"Players take your marks the drones will take off at the end of the countdown!" Varnaulk announced. The audience quieted, the sun was setting as some lights turned on along the canyon. A series of large screens were placed along the canyon to show the audience footage that would be captured by smaller drones recording the players and the event.

The screens began the countdown from ten to zero and with each number Kenneth's team revved their engines louder.

"Prophetigress! Do not worry we will save you from Sam's evil spell!" Nabine shouted at Candillice. 

Candillice gave a confused look and turned to look at Sam.

"Kenneth is prone to the usage of disparagement tactics, to obtain whatever he wants!" Rufus explained to Candillice.

"He's spreading lies about Sammy!" June yelled angrily.

Sam was not intimidated by this. He and Kenneth just stared each other down.

"The drones are away! Players hold!" Varnaulk announced. The players had to wait for their countdown as the drones were always given a thirty second head start.