Chapter 22: The board of the Mage Society

I suddenly felt quite small in the presence of all these men in their fancy clothes and their stern unimpressed looks. All of the board members, which consisted of about twenty people, were siting around one large circle table. I could see my frightened expression reflected in the polished wood, I knew it was silly of me to be nervous but I couldn't help it. What made it even worse that both prince Geoffrey and prince Kristopher had also come to watch my little presentation, ontop of Alucard and Sinjin.

"Gooday everybody and greetings to your highnesses." Started Lord Umfrey. "Today I have called a this meeting to review a new healing potion that Lady Riley has created. Please hear her out well, she is a very talented Mage and a memeber of the society, I for one expect great things from her." Said Lord Umfrey as he rubbed his pot belly and patted me on the back like a proud uncle would.

I took in a deep breath and was about to begin presenting, but before I could even start talking, one of the board members seated around the table interrupted me.

"A healing potion... How does it differ from the current ones on the market?" He asked abruptly.

"Well, it's..." I began but I got cut off again by another man.

"And just how were you able to make it? You have only been studying magic for a few weeks... is the product even safe to consume?"

I tried to answer him but another man spoke up again.

"I concur, can we really trust the validity of this product... On top of being a new mage, she is only a woman, and women are known to be less knowledgable than men when it comes to the study of magic."

"Even if the potion does work, it will probably be too expensive to sell, just like the other ones."

Before I could get a word in, the room erupted into conversation between the board members about how I was too young and too naive to have created a product of any worth. That I was simply an overzealous individual who had overstepped my bounds. That I was relying on the kindness of the Marcellus's to make my way in the world...

I was furious. They hadn't even given me a chance to speak before rudely judging me relying on their own prejudiced misconcpetions of me. I would show them.

<——————————<<<<

Prince Geoffrey watched as the room melted away into chaos. The pompous old geezers in the board room were far too old and prejudiced to be seated here and making decisions about the future of Girannon, the prince decided that he would have to have a talk to his father about removing some of them from the board.

He watched as his little healer's face became more and more flustered as she tried to answer their questions, but just as soon as she began talking she would be cut off. Until finally the room was lost to her. However, the prince saw the light of fire in her eyes, a determination that he had not seen in many people. He watched as his little healer reached into her tied up hair and slid out a crystal hair pin, as she did this, her long hair cascaded from its updo and fell down her back like a black waterfall. He noticed that some order returned to the room as she did this, perhaps all the others were mesmerised by her, just as he had been. He watched curiously as she brought the hair pin up to her arm, he wondered at what she was doing, he was truly shocked at what she did next.

Riley took the sliver pin, and in one swift move, sliced deeply into her arm. The pain was terrible and made her bite down on her lip hard, and she revolted at the sight of her own blood, but she didin't regret it.

She heard the men around the table gasp in shock, finally she had gotten their attention. They stared at her in complete bewilderment. While she had them all focused, she picked up the bottle of potion that she brought with her and took a sip. She held out her arm for everbody to see as the potion worked its magic and healed her in a matter of seconds. The wound on her arm was gone and all that was left was a bit of redness where the cut had been.