22: Lockdown

Kyle strode back to the Birchwood Tower. Vince had peeled off to return to the Academy, leaving Kyle to find his way back alone. At least by this point in time, he had gone back to it about a hundred times or so, and so he could find it in the dark. Although, having company would have been welcome. He snuck back in through the door, crept up the stairs, and snuck down the hallway. Standing in front of his door, knocking quietly, was Akora.

"Akora?" he called gently. "What are you doing here?"

"Akfernen?" she whispered in reply. "What aren't you doing in there?"

"Taking a walk," he said. "Had a nightmare and just had to walk it off, you know? Now, what are you doing here?"

She sighed. "I don't know if you're going to understand this, but I just have this weird feeling in my gut. You ever look over the edge of a cliff or stick your feet too close to a fire and just have a feeling that something bad is going to happen?"

He nodded.

"Well," she continued, "I got that. I don't know what it is, 'cuz usually I like it. Usually it means a worthy opponent or just another challenge is approaching. But this time, it doesn't feel good. It feels like a sickness. I'm sure one of your types would understand." As if knowing she said something wrong, she added, "I mean, not to hurt your inside sensations, or whatever you keep calling them."

Rather than make a fuss, he nodded again and said, "Believe it or not, Vince and I were talking about the same thing. He says it's been too quiet and too peaceful for too long. And-" Before he could continue, he remembered that it was supposed to be a secret. "And so we went to check the perimeter, just to be sure everything was secure, you know?"

"Smart move," she said with a nod. "As much as I love a good fight, it is a common wisdom that a strong defense prevents your last battle."

"A good defense is the best offense," he said.

"Ah, so you do know. Good." She looked up and down the hallway, looking for disturbances and listening for anyone stirring behind closed doors. "So the horned boy agrees. Something is amiss. I wonder what we can do?"

"We?" Kyle repeated. "What can I offer? I can set scraps of paper on fire and I have nubs in my back. I figured that you'd have a plan."

"I like doing things with you," she said. "I'm not saying I consider you an opponent, but you do give me that feeling of unease. Plus you're better at thinking than I am."

"And you don't have any other friends who can help?" He felt like a coward but the old man put a fear into him he never wanted to feel again. Not to mention, as he said, he was pretty much useless.

"Friend?" she echoed. "Is that an ally?"

He had a feeling. "I mean, I guess I can see what I can do," he said finally. "What's your plan? Set traps? Build a watchtower? Train some more?"

"Don't be silly!" she said, raising her voice. She took a moment to get herself under control. "Traps, maybe. We don't have time to build a watchtower or train. I was just going to prepare for battle."

"I don't think they're going to let you do that. I mean, I'm sure they'd put the school on lockdown or send us home before they had students fighting for their lives. Well, then again-"

And with perfect syncing, "you're a Rynne."

"I'm a Rynne!" She snickered a bit at this. "Now you're getting it."

He yawned. "Well, it's late. Don't you think we should start tomorrow morning?"

She groaned quietly, her eyes darting around as if deep in a stressful thought. "I was worried you'd say that. We have to be ready now. But then again, I don't know if you can fight when tired. You, specifically," she added.