35. surprises & needed visits

❝❞

"Mom?" I looked at her in surprise.

"Baby," she flung her arms around me, a wide smile on her face.

I hugged her tightly before pulling away, "Did you and Tanner plan this?"

She chuckled, shaking her head as she made her way into the living room, "Nope. He isn't expecting me either. I missed you two, and thought about visiting. Is your brother back from work?"

"No, he isn't. Do you want anything to drink, mom?"

"Water is fine," she answered.

"How's dad?" I asked, walking to the kitchen and grabbing a bottle of cold water from the refrigerator.

"He's great, just still at work. He could have come, but he'll probably come on his visiting day when he's less busy," she chuckled.

"Okay," I nodded, handing her an empty glass and the cold bottle of water.

She tilted her head, taking them from me as she sat on the high stool in the kitchen. "You don't look okay, honey."

"Yeah, I was down for the most part of today."

"Oh no, baby, what happened?" She set the bottle of water and glass aside and motioned for me to come over to where she sat.

"It was most likely a flu."

"Do you feel better at least?" She hugged me, rubbing my back and I smiled lazily as she did so. This was one of the reasons I loved my mom.

"Yes, mom. I stayed home and I was able to get some rest."

"Have you had something to eat?" She pulled away, looking at me.

"I had some soup." I nodded.

"That's good, but you need to eat more," she brushed my hair with her fingers.

"I mean, I've missed your food," I said with a small smile.

"Of course, I'll make dinner tonight. What time does your brother get back from work?"

I shrugged, "It depends, I guess. Sometimes he's back early, sometimes he comes back later."

I watched her as she made dinner the next hour later, helping when I had to and catching up with her. My stomach jumped in excitement as the aroma of her chicken casserole wafted in the air. Tanner was a great cook, but so was mom and I had missed her cooking.

"What of Kaleb?" Mom asked, taking off the lid of the pot and then throwing in peas into the pot.

"He's good," I replied.

"I'm surprised he isn't here. It would have been great to see him."

"He probably has stuff to do today."

"Say hi to him for me, okay?"

"I will."

I heard the front door open and I was certain this time that it was Tanner.

And boy, was I right.

"Renée! I'm back," I heard him call and I chuckled to myself. "Where's she? And what smells so good?" He said to himself, and this time, mom and I chuckled to ourselves.

"I'm in the kitchen!" I called to him.

His footsteps got closer, "Hey, do you feel better—" His eyes landed on mom and they widened. "Mom." He walked to where she stood, a wide smile on her face as he kissed her forehead.