Chapter 47 - Gone

XIMENA

Working on a side project while finishing a novel was never in the plans, but it has given me as much satisfaction as my other books. This book is so close to my heart that it has taken me longer making decisions. I feel the urgency to get it done and in print as fast as possible with the hope that it generates additional profit for the fairgrounds, but I don't want to make mistakes or commit to the first idea that crosses my path.

Jaden has been incredibly patient in the last months and has tried every idea that I threw at him. By now we have narrowed it to what we believe could be the final set of illustrations. 

"I think this is it," Jaden says as he picks a holiday cookie from the plate I'm holding. "I've been matching every change to your latest instructions and it seems we are there. What do you think?"

It's exactly what I had in mind. The colors are vibrant and the vintage rides are almost an exact copy of the real ones. Michael and Luke character's look just like them and even Luke's chipped tooth is a detail that I cherish. One of the new illustrations calls my attention because I see two additions that I didn't ask for but are welcome. Two little boys who look like Oliver and Tristan enjoy sweet treats at the fair. 

"I believe I'll need to find a new place to use as an office," I grin as I point at the illustration. "I'm happy to see that you have included Oliver and Tristan. Can you imagine? Soon this place will be filled with boy stuff." 

"As it was when Greg's bedroom was here. Who would have thought that the professor would be the first of us to become a father? Never seen him so happy. And that boy looks so much like Sophia." 

"He inherited every beautiful gene from his mom."

Two weeks ago, I brought Luke and Michael to the zoo. They were whiny and Lewis looked like he could use some time for himself. He had been working hard between businesses and the bags under his eyes were enough proof of his need for quality sleep. 

I found Greg coincidentally next to a popcorn counter with the two boys. I had seen photos of them, but this was the first time I'd seen them for real. One with tanned skin and curls on his dark brown hair, looking so much like his late mother. The other with pale skin and auburn hair. So different from each other, yet they belonged together without a doubt. The moment Luke and Michael spotted their uncle, they ran to greet him.

"Hey! Guys! So nice to see you," Greg said with the brightest of smiles.

"Had to get out of the house for a bit. Lewis needed a break."

Luke and Michael eyed the boys carefully. We have let Greg engage with them at his own pace and have not pressured him to bring them around for everyone else to meet them. 

"I was planning to come later by your house, but I guess now is a good time as well. Oliver, Tristan, these are my nephews Luke and Michael, and my best friend Ximena." 

"Are you going to be my cousin?" Michael asked Oliver with a hopeful and curious look. "We don't have any cousins."

"Maybe," Oliver said seriously. 

"Can we go to the elephants?" Luke pulled on my coat.

"Sure. Because the rest of the animals here don't matter, right?" I said to Greg.

"Tell me about it," he shrugged. "The elephants are their favorite animal, especially of this one," he said while messing Tristan's hair.

Tristan brushed his hair back, but you could see in his face how he enjoyed the teasing. 

All the boys, except Oliver, ran towards the elephants. He grabbed Greg's hand, who seemed surprised by the gesture, while staring at me with a frown. We spent a fantastic Saturday and the boys ended up as good friends by the end of the day, even making plans to play together again, but Oliver never stopped watching my every move.