fifteen.

The bells getting loud, ain't nowhere to hide
Got nowhere to go, put away my pride
Tired of feeling low even when I'm high
Ain't no way to live, do I wanna die?
I don't know, I don't know
| J. Cole - For Whom The Bell Tolls

 Cole - For Whom The Bell Tolls

Omari could feel the cool wind of Louisiana swipe against his face as he stepped on to his mother's porch

Omari could feel the cool wind of Louisiana swipe against his face as he stepped on to his mother's porch. It was nearing seven at night, and he figured the later he arrived back at home, the better—It meant he didn't have to spend as much time here and could leave back up north as quickly as possible. That was the reason why he booked the latest flight in and the earliest flight out.

A slight sigh escaped his lips and for some reason, even the constant swallowing of spit he was doing couldn't even help his dry throat. For a couple of seconds, he wondered what in his right mind would even make him want to bring Remi down here when he couldn't stand coming back home himself. She would have fell in love with his family, maybe, but with the feelings Omari had about Louisiana in general he would have been paranoid with her around every second. There were a bunch of other things in Louisiana that ended on a bad note, not just his football career and those were things he didn't want to talk about with her just yet. He wasn't ready personally to open up about them.

Just four days Omari, just four. Omari thought to himself as his hand latched onto the gold door knob.

"Momma!" he called out as he stepped foot inside, being welcomed by the slight warmth of the entry way.

The smell of his childhood home was a smell he always remembered—peppermint and lavender, with just a splash of lemon. His mother was big on essential oils and never let up having them stocked around the home. She claimed they helped keep a positive aura within the house, and were great for the brain. Omari wasn't sure how true that was, but he never questioned it because he loved the smell.

"I'm in the kitchen!" his mother, Rosalyn, called out with glee in her voice.

Since her son had left to New Jersey two years ago, this would only be the second time he had came down to Louisiana. It would be the first time he had stayed more than two days too, which she was excited for. She had spent some time with him in New Jersey for Christmas, but nothing beat having her child come back home to the place where their family had started.