Chapter 28

Something to hold y'all over for now.

"I'm so happy you came over sweetheart."

I was at my mother house not really up for conversation. I just wanted my baby so I could leave.

I shrugged slightly. "You have my child so.."

"Oh my sweet Jayc'i." she beamed. "We had so much fun didn't we."

I turned my attention to my baby who was staring at a piece of a carrot with a strange look.

"Ma she don't like that." as expect Puddin' threw the carrot across the floor.

"She's been doing that all day. She needs to get use to eating healthy."

I shook my head. My baby girl did eat healthy like apples and grapes were her favorite.

"Whea' all her stuff." I mumbled plopping down on the couch.

"Wait a minute now sweetheart what's the rush." she stood in front of me combing my hair in a certain direction with her hand.

I swatted it whining out. "Ma I'm tired. I wanna go lay down before work."

"Okay hold your horses now. Dwayne is on his way over and we have an announcement."

"What you pregnant." I scrunched up my face. "Ain't you too old for that shit."

She popped my thigh. "No I'm not pregnant nor am I old and you better stop cursing."

"Okay." I mumbled again standing as the door opened.

Mama jumped smiling brightly. "Hay sweetheart." she greeted Dwayne.

He greeted her back sharing a kiss. I mentally rolled my eyes.

"Jaycean." he nodded. "How are you."

"Hi." I waved slightly.

Mama smiled up at him then back at me.

"Sooo." I dragged out, awkwardly over this whole situation. "What's this announcement. You knocked up my moms or what like you would think them eggs would be scrambled by now, yeah."

"Jaycean MaKhya Marie Alexander." ma called out. "No one is pregnant and I am not old goddammit. If I wanted to have more kids I can."

"Whatever you say but can we please move this along."

"We're getting married." she blurted out placing a hand over her smiling mouth.

I raised my eyebrows. "Congratulations.."

The door opened again before either of them could say thank you.

"I was wondering what was taking you so damn long."

The girl shrugged. "I was on the phone."

"Okay." Mama clasped her hands together. "Kouri this my baby girl Jaycean. Sweetheart this is Dwayne's daughter Kouri."

I tried not to be mean but my face immediately scrunched up. "But wait I thought.."

"I'll explain later." mama cut me off. "You should show Kouri around L.A. ya know you two are the same age and everything."

I glanced at this Kouri character and sighed to myself. "Some other time mother. I already told you I'm tired and have to work later."

Her hands went to her hips. "What have you been doing that has you so tired Jaycean. Rushing outta here and everything."

I sat back on the couch getting Puddin' together so we could leave.

"My one year anniversary was yesterday mother." I spoke not going into detail.