thirteen

The next few days passed by quickly. After the banquet, I was allowed to stay with the Malfoys for a little while, but I left before the third day to keep from being such a burden. Narcissa and Lucius, Draco's parents, Apparated me home at my request and we bid our goodbyes. I thanked them, and then they were gone.

My dad was happy to see me when I got home. He told me how much he had missed me, how much my sister and brother had grown, and about his new girlfriend.

That last part surprised me. Dad had not gone on any sort of date since Mom died--and that was fifteen years ago. My two siblings had been adopted years ago, both when they were two. Now Kya is six and Matthew is eight.

"You'll meet her tomorrow," my dad promised. "I'm throwing a little neighbourhood party to celebrate your return."

"Oh, um, thanks, Dad."

I hugged him, thankful to be back with him, my house, and the things I know will always be there with my family.

"I really missed you while I was at Hogwarts. I mean, being away from you guys was okay at first, especially after spending the whole summer with you last year, but it stopped being okay after, like, a week. I'm glad to be home again."

"We missed you too. Now, let me take your bags to your room and go say hello to your siblings."

Following his request, I walked into the next room to see my siblings sprawled out on the floor, playing a game of Go Fish.

"Fours?"

"Go--Y/n!" Kya shouted, jumping up and giggling as she ran into my now-open arms.

"Hey, squirt. How have you been? Oh, you're so much taller!" I said, taking her into a big hug.

"Mhm!" she said eagerly, smile wide and eyes bright. "Daddy says I grew four inches!"

I smiled back at the little girl. Man, I miss being that happy.

"Kya-a! You're hogging Y/n. Move!" came another voice.

I looked down to Matthew and gently scolded him for pushing his sister. He apologised, and I hugged him.

"What was it like at--what's it called again?"

"Hogwarts?" I waited for my brother to nod before continuing. "Well, it's really fun. This year, we had a big tournament with two other schools. It was super competitive. There were dragons, and mermaids, and even a sphinx!" I said, moving my hands dramatically to emphasize my point.

My little siblings stared up at me with admiration bright in their eyes. "Wow," they said at once before turning to each other and yelling, "jinx!"

We all giggled and they convinced me to join their game.

~~~

After successfully escaping the loud and obnoxious party, I made my way outside to the giant oak trees in my backyard. When I was a kid, my dad had built me a big porch swing, but I didn't want it on the porch, so it's being held up by the sturdy trees in my backyard.

A quick wave of disappointment overcame me suddenly as I remembered something, but I brushed it off and sat down. I put one leg up and the other was hanging off of the swing, touching the ground lightly so I could still swing myself. I allowed my mind to drift as I stared up at the starry night sky. I thought about random things, stuff that I probably wouldn't remember the next day. I felt myself crying, but I couldn't figure out why. I pulled my leg up and leaned my head against the back of the swing.

I tried to steer my mind away from whatever was upsetting me by focusing on the loud chatter coming form the house, but it only made me feel worse. I wiped my tears with my sleeve quickly but it didn't help much.

A shaky sigh/sob escaped me as I tried to calm myself down. However, I jumped up from the swing as I heard a loud whoosh sound come from behind the trees. I cautiously made my way towards the place where the sound came from, my wand in hand.

"Sorry," a familiar voice said. "My dad is still teaching me how to Apparate, and I clearly haven't mastered it yet."

My face lit up with surprise, then with excitement. "You got my letter? Thanks for coming!" I quickly wiped away the rest of my tears, and I was lucky that the sudden rush of adrenaline had kept my voice from shaking too much.

Draco moves forward, his pale hair, eyes, and skin standing out against his dark suit and the darker trees. "Of course, Y/n. I mean, it's not like I had anything better to do."

I laughed a bit, glancing at the swing. I say, and Draco moved next to me.

"So is this just like, something we can do now? Invite each other to parties we would be alone at?"

"Yeah, why not?" Draco answered. "Thanks."

"Why are you thanking me?"

"I can rely on you."

"Oh. Yeah, you're welcome, I guess. I'm here for you, Draco."

We talked for a while, just sitting and lightly swinging back and forth.

Out of nowhere, Draco stopped the swing and sat up straighter. He turned his pale eyes to me and bit his lip lightly.

"Hey, Y/n? I have a question."

"Yeah, what's up?"

"How would you feel if . . . if I kissed you right now?"

I put my finger up to my lips, pretending to think about my answer. I looked in Draco's eyes and said, "I hope this answers your question."

I leaned forward, connecting our lips. He moved into a kiss a bit until I pulled away to breathe.

"I think I might really like you, Y/n."