Chapter 48 - Frustration

XIMENA

Lewis returns to the room where I wait after what seems like forever. I've been staring at my phone, hoping for a call with good news, but it has been still for hours. He takes his seat across me and I watch his face, looking for signs that all is well, but there is no emotion. I find it difficult to believe that he is not feeling anything when I feel as if I'm dying from the pain and the worry.

"Any news?" I ask him, but he doesn't look at me.

"None. The search parties are calling to report which section they have combed, but no sight of them."

Lewis lies back on the chair and tears run down his cheeks. I want to comfort him, but his body language tells me he's better left alone.

"Miss Gaytan, can I talk to you for a moment?" Chief Davids asks from the door opening.

I follow Davids to his office and he invites me to sit. He then grabs a folder while he takes place at the desk.

"It may be completely unrelated. I only wanted to ask if Connor showed you the photo of fire suspect."

"No, he hasn't. I've been around his place a few times, but it hasn't been brought to my attention."

"Don't interpret what I'm about to say the wrong way. I'm just trying to find out what could be the cause of what has been happening in the last months. My theory is that all the events, including the disappearance of Luke and Michael, are somehow related to you."

My body turns cold at his words. "Are you implying that I've played a part in hurting my friends and the people I love?" The words come out controlled, but I can't hide the furious tone.

"The reason of my disclaimer. I don't think you are involved, more like someone wants to hurt you by hurting others."

My eyes widen at his words. 

"Take a look at this photo and let me know if you recognize this person," he hands me a print.

The bile rises to my throat and I believe I'm about to pass out after seeing the photo.

"Miss Gaytan, are you alright?" Davids stands up and hurries around the desk. "Do you want some water?"

I shake my head. My throat has closed and I just crumble in sobs. Davids leaves the room and returns with Lewis.

"Ximena, who's the man in the photo?" Lewis asks.

"Damian... My ex." 

Lewis face pales at first then looks confused.

"Are you sure about this?" Davids asks. "That the man in this picture is your ex?"

"I gave him that baseball cap. I had the embroidery custom made for him. It was a gift for a book launch."

Davids asks me some follow up questions and on my request, brings up the website of the book gala, where Damian's face is present in many of the event photos.

"Why didn't I thought of this before? He came to see me... Shortly after I moved into Greg Walker's house and he tried... He wanted to come inside forcefully. Brian Connor punched him. He probably knows I went for dinner with Jaden, and that I go often to see Charlie at the café because we are good friends."

"I need you to tell me everything you know about him. Chances are he's the person who took the twins away."

"I'm sure he's involved," Lewis says.

Davids and I stare at Lewis and then follow his gaze to the computer monitor.

"That's Hannah's boyfriend. That man in the photo."