01 | chapter one

Niklaus Wade

Niklaus Wade

     It's that time of the month again that everyone dreads. It's back to school time but school was worse for someone like me. I didn't speak, I was mute; a weirdo. No one wanted to socialize with someone who didn't open their mouth to speak. No one wanted to communicate with someone who used a notebook to speak but I didn't care.

I got over what teenagers deemed 'normal,' because my life was far from that spectrum. My original birth giving parents didn't want me, so much so that they inflicted torture onto me whenever they could but my memory of those times was vague, glimpses I painfully endured while I slept.

It was impossible for me to have a good night's sleep, sometimes I wouldn't sleep at all because I didn't want to relive memories I couldn't recall while conscious. My insomnia flared up when I was in the seventh grade when the bullying got worse. I never let it get to me because my life was a constant circle of bad happenings. Nothing good ever happened to me so I never expected good things to happen, I didn't experience anything but what I did now.

Usually, people relied on siblings but I didn't have real siblings, I mean did but not in my head. I felt like an only child and I would bet that my other 'siblings,' felt the same. I was adopted along with two other boys and we were acknowledged as brothers by Elliot and Elijah, our adoptive parents, but I couldn't see it as that even though it's been fifteen years since I've been taken in.

I mean, Elliot and Elijah were nothing but kind and loving to all of us. Elliot was always so affectionate, so playful, and always in a happy mood. Elijah was like the dad I never had, he was protective of me especially and always told me that he'd have my back no matter what. Aside from their semi-perfect parenting, they were both so in love.

Sometimes my heart would clench tightly when I looked at them because I admired their relationship. The moon goddess really did an amazing thing giving us soul mates but it was also quite sadistic that rejecting your counterpart was a thing. It broke hearts, shattering them into pieces until it eventually ate an individual and killed them inside out. It was so depressing to think about but I wasn't much of an optimist, to begin with.

"Nik, did you wanna go back to school shopping with us?" Elliot pokes his head into my room with a warm smile, his lips were bruised slightly.  I couldn't help but blush knowing that Elijah was the product of it.

I reach for my blue notebook that sits on the wooden rustic nightstand that was sat next to my bed. Opening one of the drawers, I rummage around for something to write with until I'm able to find my favorite ink black pen.

Pulling the book onto my lap, I flip through pages that already have writing on it until I stumble upon a clean page to begin writing my response. Once I've scribbled down very neatly my response, I put it up to show Elliot who squints as he reads it.