■ FOURTY ■

Welcome to Chapter 40!
Thank you for coming this far with me.

■ FOURTY ■

"You two, are very quiet" Mekhi said as we sat around the wooden table.

The envelope Joshua had left behind was on the table and in the middle between us, and Mekhi looking between us as if he already knew what was wrong.

I looked up and saw Richard glance at his father. "Just tired, that's all," he replied.

Mekhi frowned. "Tired? Richard, you're a vampire, you cannot get tired," he said.

"I'm just tired, okay!" Richard snapped before standing up quickly.

Mekhi's eyes widened and I watched Richard storm from the room. Moving his chair back, Mekhi went to stand but I took his hand. "Stay, I'll check on him," I said quickly.

He nodded and relaxed back into his chair as I stood up.

I pulled my cardigan closer as I walked down the hallway, towards Richard's room. The door slammed and I winced before stopping before it.

I knocked gently. "Richard, it's me" I said, through the door.

"Go away, I'm not in the mood," he replied, roughly.

"I see that, I'm just making sure you're not doing something stupid," I replied.

"A bit late for that don't you think," his muffled voice snapped.

I winced. "Open the door Ric," I said sternly.

The door knob turned and the door flung open. Richard glared at me. "Can I help you, mum?" He asked, his attitude definitely showing.

"Okay for starters, I'm not your mother, and secondly don't take that fucking tone with me, young man," I snapped.

His eyes widened.

Pushing past him, I walked into his room. "What do you want, Celene?" Ric asked, closing the door.

"You're clearly angry about something, so talk, get it off your chest," I said, sitting on the edge of his bed.

"I'm not required to talk to you about anything, and nor do I want to," Richard said, crossing his arms.

"Oh wow, very sassy, stop being an ass and just tell me what's wrong," I said, narrowing my eyes at him.

He moved from the doorway.

"What's wrong?" He asked in disbelief.

I raised an eyebrow.

"What's wrong is that I nearly kissed my father's girlfriend, and what's wrong is that I wanted to, what's wrong is that somehow my father gets to be with someone as incredible as you and yet here I am, a loner for life," he snapped, in a harsh whisper.

My hands froze.

"I-I.." I stuttered, unable to find anything to say.

"So yes, forgive me for being a little mad when I have to sit across from my father and watch him give you loving looks when all I want to do is-" he cut off.

My eyes widened. "All you want to do is what?" I asked, worried he wanted to actually hurt Mekhi.

"When all I want to do is this," he breathed out before he appeared in front of me and pulled me up.

"Richard, n-" I was cut off before his lips slammed against mine.

His kiss was a lot more gentler than any kiss with Mekhi, and his hands gripped my waist like he never wanted to let me go. My eyes closed on their own accord as I fell into the kiss with Richard.

I'd never thought of him romantically until we danced together. He was the exact opposite of his vampire father. My mind was slipping into haze until I realised that this wasn't right.

My eyes snapped open and I pushed Richard away.

"You can't do things like that!" I snapped, stumbling back.

"What? Scared you will feel something?" He asked, watching me carefully.

"Mekhi and I are together, your father!" I expressed.

"Oh yeah? Than why haven't you said yes to his proposal?" Richard asked back.

I wracked my brain for something to say but I came up blank.

"Yeah, that's what I thought, if you want to keep living a lie Celene, be my guest but don't come crying to me when you realise he's not the one for you," Richard said calmly, crossing his arms.

"What happened to you? You were all for Mekhi and I to be together and now you're trying to pry us apart, please do explain why," I said, cocking my head.

"Maybe because I've just spent the last few weeks fighting off every bloody werewolf that could track me and I certainly wasn't worried about Mekhi's life, I was simply worried that I would never get to see you again, or your smile because you are one of a kind, you make people like you without knowing it.." he trailed off.

"Richard, I get it and I'm thankful you care about me, I truly do but this can't happen," I said, making my way to the door.

"Yeah, I get it, whatever" he said, turning his back on me.

I opened the door. "I'm sorry, Richard" I said, honestly.

"I said whatever," he replied.

I sighed and closed the door after me as I walked out into the hall. Mekhi was leaning on the wall just a little from Richard's door.

With his arms crossed, he looked up and turned to look at me.

I froze. "How much did you hear?" I asked, my eyes wide.

"All of it," he replied, stiffly.

I swallowed a lump. "I'm sorry Mekhi," I said, rubbing my arms gently.

"I'm going out for a while, don't wait up" he said, pushing off the wall and walking away.

"Mekhi!" I called out.

He didn't answer.

A/N

Oh boy, I wonder what Mekhi's going to do now.

What do you think of what Richard said to Celene? Do you think they should have a chance or should he back off?

Don't forget to vote and comment!
Lots of love, tavana xoxoxo