029 || wedding

•••

•••

"Lia I'm gonna be sick"
"Shut up and put the fucking dress on"
"Lia I think I'm dying"
"Oh lord"

Saying I was freaking out was an understatement. I felt like I was going to burst from excitement but at the same time also drop dead.
"Dalia what if he made a mistake. What if he doesn't actually love me?"
"Are you serious right now? I've only met him a few times but even then I could tell he adores you! Just get over yourself and put this ruddy dress on before I stuff you in it myself!"
"Yes mother" i muttered, forcing the dress over my head.

I took a shaky breath as Dalia placed the veil on my head, suppressing tears.
"Oh you look so beautiful" she wept, pulling me into a hug "I know there's only a few of us here, but I promise my speech is gonna kick Nat's in the ass"
I snorted, patting away my tears as I looked at my finished look. The sight made me want to cry again.
"Stop or we won't leave this room without having to redo our makeup a thousand times" Dalia joked, swatting at my arm.
"Sorry! Sorry!" I laughed, dodging her arms.

She was quiet for a moment, holding my face in her hands.
"You're ready for this. You're gonna marry that handsome coffee dude and you're gonna look like a fucking goddess whilst doing it"
"Yes mum" I saluted, pulling her into another hug, breaking the sentimental mood.

•••

Before I knew it, I was walking down the small aisle with Dalia at my side.
I waved to the few guests as we walked past (Nick and Coulson, Lewis, Dalia's parents, and a few of the friends that we had made since moving into the village) with a smile on my face.
Turning my head to look ahead of me, I almost tripped over when I saw Clint at the end of the aisle, tearing up as a grinning Nat offered a pat of encouragement.

"Hey" I whispered as I arrived next to him, Dalia sending him one last warning glare before she and Nat sat down.
"You look - just - wow" he whispered back, making me giggle.
"You look wow too"

The ceremony seemed to pass by in a blur, and I'm pretty sure I forgot to fully repeat the lines we were supposed to. When it finally came time for the vows, I was already softly crying, and Clint was trying to stay composed but I could hear the ragged edge to his voice that betrayed him.

"Grace Elizabeth Mannings, there's not much more I can say that I haven't said to you already, but I'll try my best" he joked, coughing to try and cover up some of the emotion in his voice, "I never thought that I'd get this. A family. I never thought I deserved it. But here I am, walking into a coffee shop, and I almost trip over my feet when I see an angel cleaning a table"
I snorted at this, dabbing away some more tears that were escaping my eyes.
"And I think - wow. That is the most beautiful woman I've seen in my life. Of course, I don't have the balls to say anything, so fast forward almost a month of daily coffees - which by the way I didn't need to go to the coffee shop to get - Nat has to literally make the move for me"
"You're welcome!" Nat shouted, making everyone laugh.
"But I'm so glad I went to get that coffee. Even though our relationship didn't have the most traditional start-"
"You said that right" I scoffed quietly
"- I'm grateful for it now. You are everything I've ever needed, everything I've ever wanted, and I promise to be the best husband I can be. And, of course, the best father I can be as well" Clint said, his emotion now seeping through his voice as he gently place his hand on my stomach, before holding my hand and slipping on the ring.

"Well" I said, still tearily laughing, "I don't really know how I can follow that up. Here it goes. Um, you Clint Barton are everything I had ever found attractive about anyone ever. You're kind, honest, loyal, surprisingly funny, and not to mention that you look like that"
Dalia wolf whistled.
"Exactly. Anyway, as you said the start of our relationship was weird, but I think that just made it so much more rewarding when it worked. And oh my god it worked. I don't think I've ever been this happy with anyone in my entire life. Through everything, we have learnt to support each other, and that is something I'll cherish until the day I die. I love you very much Clint, and I promise to keep loving you for a very long time"
I slid the ring on to his finger, keeping eye contact the whole time.

By this point I could distinctly hear Dalia sobbing into Lewis' shoulder, whilst Nat had a foreign expression on her face.
"Holy hell I made Nat cry. This is officially the best day ever" I chuckled, receiving the finger from the redhead who had now covered her face with her hands.

"You may now kiss the bride"
I shuffled toward him happily, Clint's hands grabbing the sides of my face gently and pulling me into a kiss.
"We're married" he whispered gleefully as he pulled away, tucking a stray hair behind my ear.
"Shits crazy" I laughed, before half-dragging him down the aisle.