28 Car Chase Time

I hurry back to Erik and Vienna and stop a few feet from the table.

Erik's head rests in his hand. "I didn't realize it could take someone so long to go to the bathroom."

"We need to go. Now."

The skin between his eyes draws together. "I'm by no means an expert on restaurants, but shouldn't we eat before we leave?"

I can't deal with his sass right now. "Erik, trust me." I don't want Vienna to know I'm even acquainted with rebels, and I don't want Erik getting ideas.

"We need to pay first," Vienna points out.

I'm about ready to grab them and drag them out of their chairs. "The waiter did say our meal is on the house. Let's go."

"Why?" Erik asks.

Here's to going against my better judgement: raise the metaphorical glass and say cheers. "Rebels."

They both stand immediately, and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Iris?" I don't recognize the voice coming from behind me.

My heart still sinks though.

I turn and find Y with Eun-seob in front of him. That was Eun-seob's voice I heard? It's changed. He's . . . grown now. He was one of the few orphans who wanted me to stay—something I can never forget.

"Y, Eun-seob . . ."

Their eyes shift from me to Vienna and Erik.

Y pushes Eun-seob behind him. "You're with—"

Erik's punch lands somewhere on Y's face, and he and Vienna take off running. Seventeen years of my life tells me to stay and make sure Y's okay. Those same seventeen years also taught me to know when it was time to run.

"I'm sorry," I say, before taking off after the Society.

Erik has the car started by the time I slide into the front passenger seat.

"Get to the back," he orders as he swerves the car out of the space.

Out of his window I see Eun-seob and Y hopping into a car of their own. I don't argue with Erik and clamber into the back with Vienna.

In her hand is a gun. "Don't worry, Iris. Just stay down." Her words say one thing. Her tone says she's about to have a panic attack. She also has no idea that I'm probably just as skilled as her with a gun.

Erik makes a sharp left turn out of the parking lot. The road is only two lanes wide. Dark. And empty. Headlights appear behind us, growing larger by the second. I want to be able to pinch myself and wake up. Those two guys, despite everything, are my family. I can't let them get hurt.

"Iris," Erik says, "there's a gun underneath the seat in front of you."

I reach under the seat, and my hand closes around a pouch. I undo the latch on it and pull out a gun. He wants me to shoot at them—my family.

I take a deep breath.

"Erik!" Vienna's legs are pulled up on the seat as she crouches on it. "You can't expect her—"

"She's a lot better than you."

"I know what you want me to do, just not how. Do you expect me to roll down the window and lean out?"

"Yes."

And what? I get thrown out when he swerves?

Vienna starts to roll down her window. How can I shoot at them? They were my friends—my family.