Chapter 4: The Wedding

It was the day. The day that was excitedly anticipated by most, but had been dreaded by others.

Caspian was in his room getting dressed for the wedding. He fastened the gold buttons on his coat and fixed the collar once again. When he had finished he took one last look in the mirror and sighed, asking himself the question the Professor had told him to ask.

Do I really truly love Lilliandil?

The music sounded loud and clear from the organ. Ramandu walked his daughter down the aisle, beaming with pride. Lilliandil glowed, but not because she was happy, but simply because she was a star.

Caspian took a deep breath and made his way up the aisle to the front of the room where he stood facing Lilliandil, but not making eye contact with her.

The professor stood before them and when the music finished he began. "We are here today to join together these two beings." As he was speaking all the long traditional things the preacher always says at weddings Caspian's mind raced. He glanced over the crowd of people. Peter, Edmund, and Lucy sat in the second row, but no where did he see Susan.

"Do you, Caspian, take Lilliandil to be your lawfully wedded wife? To love and to cherish as long as you both shall live?" The Professor asked.

Caspian swallowed hard. The crowd held their breath as they waited for Caspian's 'I do'. "I-" He took another breath. He didn't want to hurt Lilliandil in any way, and furthermore he didn't want to be seen as an unjustly King by his people. He closed his eyes as he exhaled slowly. "I can't."

Gasps and murmurs went up throughout the audience. "Liliandil, I'm sorry, but I can't go through with this. As wonderful as you are, I can't marry you when there is someone else I love more deeply than I do you. I'm so sorry." He said anxiously. To his surprise, Liliandil smiled.

"Caspian I was just about to tell you that I think we should call off the wedding." She admitted.

"You were?" Caspian asked. His eyes were furrows in a puzzled manner.

She nodded. "I-I saw you and Susan on the balcony the other day." She confessed, looking at the engagement ring on her finger. "I can't take something that beautiful, that passionate away from you." She said kindly. She twisted the ring off her finger and placed it in Caspian's palm. "Go find your true love." She said, now beaming out of happiness.

Caspian shook his hand in amazement. "Thank you." He whispered, kissing her in the cheek for the last time. Then he took off to find Susan.

She had refused to come to the wedding. She couldn't bear to see the man she loved marry someone else, especially when he had admitted his love for her.

Caspian ran through the hallways calling her name, but not receiving an answer. Finally he spotted Susan through a window. She was strolling along the beach. He clasped the ring tightly in his hand and dashed outside.

He ran down the beach and grabbed her arms pulling her into a kiss. When he released her her eyes were wide with shock. "Caspian, wha-your-but your wedding! What-"

"I couldn't marry her when there is someone else I love, we both agreed on that." He cut her off. His voice was filled with a loving passion.

"So your calling off the wedding?" Susan asked, still shocked.

"Not exactly." Caspian took Susan's hand in his and bent down, sinking one knee into the sand. "Will you marry me?" He asked. The ring in between his fingers sparkled in the evening sunlight.

Susan gasped. Tears glistened in her eyes. "Yes!" Caspian picked her up in his arms and twirled her around.

"Do you know how much courage it takes to say 'I don't' instead of 'I do'?" He asked jokingly. Susan laughed and wrapped her arms tightly around his neck, not wanting to let go for fear he would slip away from her again.

They burst into the sanctuary minutes later. "I'm pleased to announce that there will be a wedding after all, just not today." Caspian announced excitedly looking down at Susan and squeezing her hand. The audience clapped in congratulations.

"Oh Susan!" Lucy squealed and hugged her sister, and then her future brother-in-law.

"Welcome to the family." Edmund said to Caspian, embracing him.

"Congratulations." An echoing voice behind Susan said. Susan turned to see Liliandil standing there with a smile on her face. "Oh Liliandil I-I don't know what to say! I'm so sorry!" Susan apologized, hoping no drama would come from the broken engagement.

"No need to apologize! You and Caspian were meant for each other. And eventually I'll find someone who was meant for me." Lilliandil said, still smiling.

"Thank you so much." Susan sighed, very much relieved.

~

Later that night Peter came knocking on Susan's door. "Come in." She called. Peter entered, a troubling look on his face. Before Susan could ask what was wrong Peter cleared his throat and began his statement.

"Susan, there's something I need to tell you." He shut the door behind him before continuing. "It's has to do with you and Caspian." He didn't know how to say what he wanted to say to Susan, he knew she wouldn't listen, at least not at first. He took a deep breath and continued. "I'm glad things are worked out between you, but it's just going too fast."

"What do you mean?" Susan asked. Her breathing grew heavier with worry.

"I mean, I don't want you to marry Caspian, not yet."

"What? Why?" Susan exclaimed in shock.

"Susan we've only been here a few days. Less than a week ago we were doing college studies in London. You're too young." Peter stated, though that wasn't the entirety to his decision.

"Peter this is Narnia, not London. Things are different here." Susan said, confused at her brother's sudden behavior.

"I know, but here I'm your only authority and I say no." Peter was growing more firm in his responses rather than gentle like he had been at first.

"Peter don't you think this is a bit unfair? I'm a queen and I'm old enough to make my own decisions." Susan stated, desperately hoping he couldn't be serious.

"Susan I forbid you to marry Caspian!" Peter raised his voice to an angry yell.

Susan stood up. "You can't forbid me to do anything!" She yelled back. She was desperate for Peter to change his mind.

"I'm the one who has to give you away since dad's not here. Caspian has to ask me first if he can marry you. I can say no and that's exactly what I'm going to say!" Peter shouted. He left, slamming the door behind him, not giving Susan a chance to respond.

Susan sat back down on her bed, shocked. Just when she thought everything was worked out and they were going to have their happy ending, her selfish brother had to intrude and ruin it all!