CHAPTER 3 - Confrontation Is The Worst

Lena had called Kara back to ask her if she could come by, saying she needed to talk to her about something. Kara was really worried about her friend, she seemed off ever since the accident. She just hoped Lena was okay. Of course, she was nowhere near imagining the real reason Lena wanted to talk.

Lena stood in front of Kara's door for a minute, still not sure if she should come in. It was not usual for her, she always knew what to do. Maybe she was afraid of losing her best friend, because Kara was like no one she ever met before. But she needed answers. The truth is she needed to be reassured. She needed Kara to tell her that she was being silly, of course she was not Supergirl. Because Lena really didn't know what would happen if it was true. Imagining that Kara would dismiss every worries Lena had, she knocked on the door, trying not to think about the evidence she searched and found the night before, sure that it will be something Kara and her would laugh about in a few months.

When Kara opened the door, she was surprised to see that Lena was far from being okay. She invited her friend to come in. Lena took off her coat and looked at Kara's eyes.

"So, what did you want to talk about?"

Lena took a deep breath, not sure how to start:

"It's probably silly. It just something that I can't stop thinking about since I woke up in the DEO."

"Are you okay? Do you want me to call Alex?"

"No, no, it's not that. I just need you to tell me I'm wrong."

"Lena, you're scaring me."

Lena took a step closer to Kara. It killed her to admit it, but she could see the resemblance between the two women. She took a deep breath and moved her hands towards Kara's glasses.

"Lena, what are you doing?", asked Kara, taking a step back.

"I just- I really need to know."

"Lena..."

Kara knew what was going to happen. She knew Lena would not forgive her for that. But she was just tired of lying to her best friend, she was tired of keeping such a huge part of her from Lena. This is why she didn't move when Lena took off her glasses, hoping that, deep down, the woman in front of her would find the strength to eventually forgive her.

When Lena took off Kara's glasses, she didn't immediately saw Supergirl. Thinking, hoping she was wrong all along, she took a step back. But when Kara looked up to her, she saw. She saw the woman who first saved her in the chopper, she saw the woman she killed her ex-boyfriend to save, she saw Supergirl.

"Oh my god. I was right. You are her."

"Lena...", said Kara trying to get closer to her friend.

"No, no, stay back. You have no idea how much I wanted to be wrong. I've never wanted to be more wrong in my life. But it's true. How could you keep this away from me? How could you lie to me Kara?". As she said those words, Lena could feel anger and sadness coming up. "It's like I don't even know you anymore."

"That's not true, I'm still me."

"Are you? If you could lie to me about who you are for 2 years, what else did you lie to me about?! Was any of this true? Oh my god, you were getting close to me because of my family, weren't you?"

"Of course not, Lena. I don't care that you are a Luthor, as Kara or as Supergirl. Please, Lena, I'm sorry."

"How am I supposed to believe any of that? I don't even recognize you!"

"Lena, please, it's still me. I haven't changed."

"No, you're right you haven't. You were always both of them. You just never told me."

"Lena, come on, you weren't supposed to-"

"To what? Figure it out? Were you ever going to tell me?"

"It was to protect you."

"Were you going to tell me?!"

"I- no."

Kara looked down while Lena's eyes were filled with tears.

"If you couldn't tell me something that important, what's the point of any of this?", Lena said, not sure if it was for Kara or for herself. She grabbed her coat and began to walk to the door. Kara wanted so much to hold her back, to tell her how sorry she was, to tell her how many times she wanted to come clean to her. But she knew it was pointless. She knew the least she could do was give Lena some space. For now. Because at this moment, Kara was only sure of one thing: this couldn't be the end.

***

When Sam saw Lena's texts, she knew. She knew her friend went to see Kara and she knew it didn't end well. The first thing she wanted to do was call Alex. She didn't really know if it was to yell at her or to tell her to go take care of her sister. But Sam knew she needed to be there for Lena. Lena never told her, but Sam could see the way she looked at Kara. No friends look at each other like that. She grabbed her things from Lena's office, texted Alex to go check on Kara and called Lena to tell her she was on her way. This was going to be a long night.