Part 32

"Uh...", John stalled, clearly nervous at even the thought of taking off his mask. Countless dreadful things could result because of it.

A spur of thoughts came rushing into John's brain.

Could I run away?

Hmm. I don't know if that'd be that'd be the brightest idea.

Actually, should I take off my mask-?

No.

"Hey-

"You-", John heard, as a pair of hands tapped his shoulders. John slightly twisted his head to the right, his eyes met with Keene behind him.

After Keene had realized he had his attention, he began to alert him. "A requirement was for the grand winner to take off his mask in front of everybody. That's an order. We announced the rules in the beginning, which everyone said they would abide." Though Keene thought with sense and assumed the masked teen hadn't been paying attention.

My guess... is that the masked student is probably John. No one else could beat the duo, Arlo and Seraphina up to that extent. He's the only student at Wellston who can even touch them.

John mumbled a quiet "No" as he started to shake. He grabbed his wrist, trying to get himself to stop.

What could be so terrible about taking off his mask? Gosh, he's even shaking, Keene thought.

Keene glanced over at Vaughn, who was staring intently at the pair. His green eyes seemed to be lost in thought, thinking intently about a certain topic.

John enrolled into Wellston, requesting for his rank to be kept a secret. There is no doubt in my mind that this masked student is John. He wants to keep to himself. This is one of the rare times he had used his ability, having no influence on other students.

I've always wondered why John was so ashamed of his own talents.

I think I recall that he was one of Keon's students at the re-adjustment courses. What exactly did they teach there?

What could possibly make him so... traumatized and nervous enough to start shaking? In New Bostin, he had recklessly attacked half his graduating class... in those classes, did they teach students to not to use their abilities? He seems a great deal nervous to me, to reveal himself.

If I think about it in his point of view, he had kept his rank, and so did we, a secret this whole time, and this event would expose him. There must be some reason he's so ashamed of his own talents and wants to stay hidden.

John had grabbed his head, grimacing.

He started huffing, sweat beginning to drip down his face as the mask suddenly felt suffocating. Numerous flashbacks flashed before his eyes yet again; him punching Adrion and Adrion toppling to the ground and falling back, grabbing Claire's green bangs and tugging on them, punching Claire right in the cheek, resulting in her bleeding, and the countless students he had beaten up as a result of his 'rampage.'

Get out of my head!

John had screamed inside his head, the memories haunting him and lingering inside his brain. He just wanted them to go away. He had wished none of it had ever happened. He attempted to focus on something else, and his eyes eventually ended up gazing at a tree in the vicinity.