Tattoo

Kaycee

She squinted her eyes against the bright lights, trying to get comfortable in the seat.

"So," The woman said to her. "Have you figured out what you want to have done?"

Kaycee turned to Sean - a little too quickly that her buzzed brain immediately regretted it - and pouted at him.

"Seeeaaan!" She whined, "You have to help me!"

The equally intoxicated boy, with glossed-over eyes, smirked at her and shook his head.

"You're not getting me involved in this!" He retorted, washing his hands clean of what she was about to do. Kaycee pouted more, trying to charm her with her wide hazel eyes. But when Sean only laughed harder, she huffed irritably.

"Fine then. If you won't be useful, go somewhere else. I don't want you being all judgey while I decide." She moped, words slightly slurring together.

"Yeah, sure." Sean rolled his eyes and clumsily rose from the plastic seat beside her chair. "If you can even make a decision."

Before Kaycee's muddled mind could even come up with a snarky response, Sean had waltzed out of the parlor.

"Okay then." The artist spoke again. Kaycee turned her attention back to her and smiled meekly. The woman smiled back, gentle but amused. "Do you want me to try and help?"

Four hours ago, Kaycee turned 18.

She had a big party in some fancy club, "chaperoned" by her two older siblings. But sometime after she accidentally spilled beer on a stranger and began yelling out the wrong lyrics to every song that came on, Sean decided that she had enough. Her best friend dragged her out of the club, insisting they get some air.

Trouble was they both underestimated just how much they actually drank. As they strolled around the city, the alcohol caught up with them, making them drunker than when they left the club.

One thing led to another, and here they were - at a tattoo parlor at 4 am. Kaycee had decided that her birthday gift to herself was to get inked.

"What's a good tattoo to get?" Kaycee asked, squinting against the bright lights in the room. They were hurting her eyes.

"Well," The artist pondered. " A lot of people get a tattoo as a reminder."

"A reminder of?"

"All sorts of things."

Kaycee frowned at the vague answer, finding it completely unhelpful. The tattoo artist laughed.

"Okay, okay. That was a useless answer." She said in between chuckles. "How about this - what do you hold in your heart? What is so important to you that you must have it close always?"

Kaycee smiled, an answer instantly coming to mind. The image flashed in her head, and she knew right away what she wanted to immortalize on her skin.

"Do you have a pen I could borrow?" She asked the artist. "I'll try to draw it for you."

Sean

As he re-entered the tattoo parlor, he was immediately jolted into alertness by the sound of mechanical buzzing. His eyes landed on Kaycee, laying back in the seat, just as he left her. The artist was already hard at work, bent over her hand.

Sean quickly made his way to her, careful not to stumble into anything. His legs felt like weights beneath him, so it was a miracle he made it to her in one piece.