Never Had A Chance

Part 2 of Too Far

Warnings: Cursing, Angst, fluff?

Two Chapters for Wake of Devastation have been published. They have spoilers, you have been warned.

———

You held onto Tony's hand as he was laid onto the hospital bed. He had all sorts of tubes coming out of him, helping him stay alive. You felt silent tears come down your cheeks as you held his hand.

It was bad.

Tony felt with such a hard impact he was instantly unconscious. The fact he didn't have his suit on, also affected his back area. Large purple bruises formed along the back of his back to his neck.

The doctors were happy to announce that his neck was fine. The fact that you had grabbed his hand, stopping him from getting a full force of impact, saved his life. If you hadn't caught him, he would have flat-lined three hours ago.

You looked back at the man, his eyes closed. For once, he actually looked peaceful. You got up and kissed his forehead. You sat back down, and sighed. You gazed at his patched up shoulder, which had blood stains covering it.

They successfully took the bullet out. Although, he had cuts and bruises on his face and body. He looked so pale as he laid in bed.

But you calmed yourself down by focusing on his soft breaths. The way his chest rises every time he took in a breath.

Steve noticed you were alone in the room and decided to visit.

He felt so bad, and couldn't help but blame himself. He knocked politely on the door and peeked in.

"Hey Cap," You mumbled as you looked up at him. He smiled softly, with that American boy charm. He sat next to you, his gorgeous blue eyes gazing at you.

"I'm so sorry..." Steve spoke quietly. You shook your head at the Solider and put a hand onto his shoulder.

"This isn't your fault Steve, it's whoever shot Tony," You said, and Steve nodded. You felt tears form again. Steve sighed and hugged you close to him. You cried silently into his embrace as he held you.

Steve hates seeing you in this state. He sees Nat motion him to come over and he reluctantly separates from you. He wipes away your tears with his thumbs and kisses your head. You smile softly at the gesture and look back at Tony.

Steve walks out and nods at his team-members.

"So?" He asked and Bruce shrugged.

"The doctors said it's too early to see if he's stable to go home. But, they say there's a slight chance that..he won't make it," Bruce admitted, causing Steve to look back at you. He knew how much that would hurt you and he shook his head.

"Tony will make it. He's a strong man. He'll make it,"

Natasha smiles as Clint walked over, a bunch of vending machine snacks in his arms. He stuffed all kinds of sweets into his mouth, he stopped once he noticed the looks he was getting.

"What?! I stress eat!" He squeals and continues stuffing his mouth.

———
Time Skip brought to you by Bucky smiling widely
———

Back at the tower, you were excited. Tony was finally coming back. The doctors have confirmed he was well, and ready to go. You excitedly paced around the room.

"Nervous?" A certain Solider asked from the doorway. You beamed at him and sat down on your bed, trying not to jump around. Steve laughed at you and sat next to you.

He ran a hand through his blond hair and turned to you. You then tensed, realizing the awkward silence that fell over.

"Look, I'm so sorry that you haven't found Bucky yet," Steve felt a tang of pain in his chest but he shook his head.

"It isn't your fault. I will find him, but for now. Enjoy yourself, Y/N," Steve mumbled happily. You smiled widely at the Solider and hugged him this time. He hugged back, smiling wider.

"I just want to thank you for being there for me, when Tony wasn't looking so good," You muttered against his shoulder. You both separated, Steve still grinning.

Steve eyes then shifted and soon enough, he was leaning forward. His lips placed onto yours in a lip lock. Your eyes widen at the kiss with the Solider. Then they fluttered close as Steve moved his soft lips gently against yours.

He pulled away, a soft smile on his face. A blush forming into his cheeks.

"You're welcome, Ma'm"

The End

Really that's it.

Yep, that's the end

Natasha helped Tony walk in along with the help of Bruce. Tony had a bandage across his chest, along with bandaids on his face. He was using crutches, trying to hold himself up.

"Where is she?" He grinned, and Natasha pointed to your bedroom. He quietly and steadily used his crutches to walk over to your room.

He was expecting the biggest hug from you. Maybe a few kisses on the cheek. And finally both of you finally kissing, as he wanted to do for a long time.

His heart swelled, and he imagined the biggest smile on your face. He peeked inside your room, planning to surprise you. His smile faltered slowly.

His dreams were, once again, crushed once he saw Steve kissing you. His heart hurt once he saw you kiss back. He looked down at the ground, telling himself how he could be so stupid. That day on the roof, was just in heat of the moment. Tony fought back tears, and used his crutches to walk back to his room. Feeling more upset then ever. Of course he never had a chance with you.

He never did.