Book 1 ~ Chapter 17

✨•~~~~~~~~•✨
LEIs POV

Korra and the boys were practicing in the gym for the Championships against the Wolf Bats. They need all the practice they can get, if they wanna win against them. They took turns hitting pictures of Tahno. I chuckled when they hit each one.

"You guys are getting better," I complimented. Korra smiled.

"We're gonna do great tonight, I don't care if we are the underdogs," Korra said confidently.

"It's our toughest match yet, but I think you're right," Mako said.

"Your new champs! The fantastic fire ferrets!" Bolin imitated the commentator. I laughed.

"Good Morning, Citizens of Republic City," A familiar voice said in the radio. I turn my head immediately to the radio, so did Korra.

"I hope you enjoyed the pro-bending match last night, because it will be the last. It's time for this city to stop worshipping bending athletes as if they were heroes. I am calling the council to shut down the bending arena or else there will be severe consequences," Amon said and the radio channel faded.

"This guy has got some nerve," Bolin said.

"You think the council will give in," Mako asked.

"I'm not sticking around to find out, we need to get to city hall," Korra said seriously.

Korra rode Naga with Mako, and I rode Kaya with Bolin. We made our way to City Hall as fast as we could. When we arrived, Korra immediately barged through the doors as we followed her inside.

"Korra, you shouldn't be here, this is a closed meeting," Tenzin said sternly.

"As the Avatar and a pro-bending player, I have a right to be heard, you can't cancel the finals," Korra said.

"I know the competition is important to you, but we have to shut it down for safety," Tenzin said.

"What about the rest of you? Tarlock, you can't be agreeing to this too can you?" Korra said.

"Actually, Tenzin and I agree for once," Tarlock said.

"The decision is final, we are closing the arena," Tenzin said.

"No! You can't!" Bolin pleaded.

"I don't understand, I thought you of all people would take a stand against Amon," Korra said to Tarlock.

"While I am still committed to bring that lunatic to justice, I will not put innocent lives on the line just so you and your friends can play," Tarlock said.

"Pro-bending may just be a sport to you, but think about the city, right now, the arena is the one place where benders and non-benders can live at peace, to watch benders—" Mako got cut off.

"Beat each other up in peace, It's an inspiration to everyone," Bolin said colorfully.

"I appreciate your intention on doing this, but ignoring the reality of the situation," Tarlock said.

"The reality is, that if you close the arena, you let Amon win," Korra said.

"I'm sorry, but the decision has been made, this is meeting is adjourned," Tarlock said.

He was about to finalize the decision by hitting the gavel. However, the gavel was broken by a metal line. Everyone turned around and saw Chief Beifong. I glared at her, I didn't like that woman at all.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but, I agree with the Avatar," Chief Beifong said.

"You do?" Korra said in disbelief.

"I expect this cut and run decision from Tenzin, but the rest of you? Come on, show a little backbone. It's time that the benders of this city displays some strength and unity against these equalists," Chief Beifong said.

"We don't want to escalate an all out war! The decision has been made," Tenzin retorted.

"Now, Tenzin, Let's hear what our esteemed Chief of Police has in mind," Tarlock said.

"If you keep the Arena open, the metal benders and I will provide extra security during the championship match, there's no better force to deal with the chi blockers, our armor is impervious to their attacks," Chief Beifong said.

"Are you saying that you will personally take full responsibility for the safety of the spectators?" Tarlock asked.

"I guarantee it," Cheif Beifong said without hesitation.

"If she is confident that her elite officers can protect the Arena, then I am changing my vote, who else is with me?" Tarlock said, as he raised his hand.

The other council members changed their decision as well, except Tenzin.

"The Arena stays open, goodluck in the finals," Tarlock said.

Korra and the boys jumped in joy, but I had a bad feeling about this.

✨•~~~~~~~~•✨

I grew nervous by the second. The championships were about to start. Chief Beifong and the metal benders have already checked every seat and every inch of the Arena for anything suspicious. There were metal benders everywhere, in the bay, right outside the arena, and the skies. I decided to help out as well, just in case. I positioned myself along one of the aisles, but it still had a great view of the match. The host comes up from the center of the ring, which meant the match was beginning.

"Introducing! Future Industries, Fire Ferrets!" The host announced. Cheers filled the Arena, as they were walking there way to the ring.

"And their opponents, the three time defending champions, the Whitefalls Wolf Bats!" The host announced.

While the Wolf Bats were walking to the ring, they wore masks that looked exactly like Wolf Bats. It was intimidating, I'll give them that, but I believe in Korra and the guys. They had capes as well, and they raised it. On cue, small fireworks and fire effects surrounded the stage.

What an entrance. I rolled my eyes.

Once they got to the ring, they took of their masks and capes. Everyone got into their positions. Staring each other down intently. Suddenly, Tahno took the first shot, only he did a water punch. I've watched a few games enough to know that move wasn't allowed. But, thankfully Korra dodged it. Mako was being attacked by the earth bender. It was an intense match for round one. Bolin was able to ricochet the earth tablet into one of the opponents. Tahno looked angry and knocked Bolin back to the last zone. That was supposed to be a foul, but for some reason, the ref didn't call it. Throughout the match, the officials didn't call a single foul from the Wolf Bats. These guys were playing dirty. Bolin was knocked into the water, leaving Korra and Mako on the last zone. Until, they were knocked off. But, apparently, Korra was still holding onto the edge, with Mako holding onto her. They weren't out of the match yet. Korra threw Mako up, and he sent a fire kick at the opponent. I jumped in joy for their comeback. They survived Round one, and round two begun. It was a dirty match, Tahno kept icing the water, which is a foul. Round two was declared a coin toss, the fire ferrets won the toss and chose Water.

"Come on, Korra," I muttered.

The water benders entered the center, as it rose. They circled around each other, waiting for the other to attack. Tahno taunted Korra, so she sent the first shot. Tahno dodged the water punch, but wasn't able to dodge Korra's water kick. Tahno gets knocked off, and Fire Ferrets win Round Two. Round Three begun, and it was really intense and nerve wrecking. The Fire Ferrets and the Wolf Bats took turns exchanging attacks. Until, Tahno used water hose with crushed rocks in them which easily knocked all of the Fire Ferrets into the water. I glared at him, If I ever see that jerk again, I'm gonna show him.

At the corner of my eye, I saw Tenzin, with Cheif Beifong on the other side of the Arena. I widened my eyes and when I saw a small hooded figure next to Chief Beifong,

An equalist.

✨•~~~~~~~~•✨
AUTHORs NOTE:
This chapter was edited but nothing from the storyline has been changed.

PUBLISHED: May 5, 2019