29. Congratulations

I usually don't write when I have writer's block but I've heard that it's best to do so anyway.

this chapter is trash 🗑 to me. Hope y'all like it though.

A Month Later| October

Jabri Hampton

"Good game, good game." I clapped as my team came over to me. We'd been playing since school started back up but this was the first game we won. "We get a prize?" Jamal excitedly asked. "Y'all get to play in the next game. But we got pizza and snacks at the rec." I told him as I got a head count.

"Cool with me!" Chazzy commented. "Aight. Line up and meet Mr. G at the bus." I told them. We was on crunch time today because I had alotta shit to do. Tez and Tati's baby shower was today. I had therapy and I had to get my hair cut before the re-opening of the Children's Hospital tonight.

I haven't had a blunt all morning, so I was a little on edge. Being with the kids calmed me down a bit though. I went to visit Mrs. Reid a few weeks back and she gave me a card. She told me that her friend would be waiting on my call. It took a while to make that move but I did. Rai' wasn't gon' let me forget anyway, she made sure of that.

I ain't gon' front, I was nervous as hell about this appointment. I could see myself choking up about it all. I didn't know if I could do this shit without incriminating myself. If I slip up, that's my ass. I couldn't let that happen with all the good things I had going on. And even though I committed the crime, I didn't feel like I should be punished for it.

I was protecting myself.  It was me or them.

Now knowing that Alex was behind the hit, it had me on guard. I carried the grip with me everywhere I went. It was no more leaving it home locked in a safe. I had to keep it on me at all times. Real shit, I'on know what static this nigga had with me. At the end of the day, he got the girl and the kid.

I knew one thing though, I wasn't letting this nigga kill me. I put that on gang. I hadn't spoken to Ash since the incident but I had plans to pull up on her and get this shit straightened out. I heard through Von that she was moving soon too, so we had to figure out how I would see Lex. I loved that lil girl to death and I would do anything to keep her in my life.

"You look nervous." Rai' commented, making me look in the camera at her. "As hell." I let out a deep sigh, licking over my lips. "It'll be fine babe. Just listen, be objective. You're going to be doing most of the talking anyways." She comforted me. "Yeah I know, that's why I'm nervous. I'm talking about my feelings to somebody other than you. Shit don't sit right with me." I admitted.

I was used to confiding in Moms or Pops and Rai' outside of that. Even my boys had witnessed the most vulnerable sides of me. I didn't like it much but sometimes I couldn't fight it. "That's your pride speaking again babe." She giggled. "Don't be defensive, their job is to help you." She explained. "Yeah, I know. " I smiled at her.