Perspectives Part 3

Kylie Rice - 2018

I am going to kill that boy!

Kaycee exits the Lews' garage after a long day of rehearsals with Sean for The Duels, looking like she is 3 words away from bursting into tears. It takes everything I have to not march into that garage and demand answers from that boy. We manage to say thanks to Miya for having us for the day, then Kaycee runs to the car. She doesn't even wait for me. The second I unlocked the car, she jumps in, straps her seatbelt, and turns away from me.

"What happened?" I ask, starting the car.

"Nothing." Kaycee sniffs, and I realize she had started crying. "Let's just go home."

Oh hell no! What did he do?

"Kaycee, did something happen with Sean?" I say, tugging on her shoulder to make her face me. "I swear, if that boy hurt you..."

"No, no. It's not like that." She stops me, her eyes wide with panic and concern. I see that she's telling the truth.

"Then what happened?" I ask again, crossing my arms. "I can't take us home with you in this condition, knowing that boy made you cry."

Kaycee turns away from me and fixes her gaze to the windshield. Her tears kept streaming down her cheeks, and she's obviously fighting the sobs wracking her chest.

"We're not getting it." She answers, sniffling through the words. "There's just a lot of pressure right now, and the piece isn't coming together. Sean got really stressed, and yelled at me. I yelled back. We said some things, that's all."

"He yelled at you?" I exlaim, both surprised and horrified that he would do such a thing. "Excuse me, but what gives him the right? Our own parents don't even yell at us."

"Kylie, it's not a big deal-"

"Oh, yes, it is-"

"No, it's not. Just let it go."

"Why are you giving him a free pass?"

"Because I yelled back. I said things too. This isn't entirely his fault." She raises her voice, exasperated.

Kaycee takes deep, albeit shaky, breath to calm down. I do my best not to agitate her even more, even though I am itching to give Sean a piece of my mind. When she's good, she continues.

"I'm feeling a lot of pressure from WOD, getting into the next round, all the press we have to do, plus school. But that pressure is ten times worse for Sean because everything we do comes from his mind. If we fail, that's on him. So yeah, I'm gonna give him a free pass for yelling at me, especially when I'm not being very helpful."

"But I'm not giving him a free pass for making you cry, Kayc."

"It's not a big deal. We disagree, we fight. That's what happens in partnerships."

Screw it, this girl won't listen. If Sean Lew thinks he can make my little sister cry and get away with it, he's got another thing coming.

I pause, taking a deep breath, and slap on a smile on my face. "Fine, have it your way then."

I pat down my jean pockets, making it look like I was searching for something. Then I sigh and bow my head in frustration.

"Oh shoot. I left my phone inside." I lie through my teeth. "Give me a sec."

I jump back out before Kaycee could say anything, and try to casually walk back to the house.

"Hey, Miya! I just forgot something." I call out, knowing she is in the kitchen.