A Change in Christmas

Summary: Steve and Natasha have spent every Christmas since Steve came out of the ice together. It started as a way for Natasha to get to know her new partner better but quickly turned into a regular thing.

Or the three times someone ruined their Christmas plans and the one time everything was perfect.

ONE

"I'll go look over there,"  Steve announced, pointing to his right.  Natasha nodded and watched him wander through the farm to find their perfect tree.  She knew it was his favourite part of Christmas: looking for the best tree around and proudly showing it off to her once he did.  The first two years they'd gone Christmas tree hunting, she'd searched for a tree with him.  Three years ago, though, he'd started branching off from her to find the tree himself while she wandered around the tree farm and enjoyed the fresh scent of pine.

She liked looking at all the trees, smiling at the ones that were only babies and would have to wait a couple of years to be big enough to get chosen.  Every now and then, she'd see a small tree being carted off by a little kid, proudly telling Mom or Dad that they found a tree the same size as them.  She was crouched down beside a tree that couldn't be more than half a metre tall when someone walked up behind her and stopped.

"Did you find the perfect tree?"  Natasha asked before turning around and trailing off.  Instead of Steve behind her like she'd expected, Brock Rumlow stood in front of her with his arms crossed.  He raised an eyebrow at her odd question and she rolled her eyes to walk away.

"What's got you at a tree farm, Romanoff?"  Rumlow asked.  Natasha didn't answer as she walked away, clenching her fists in her pockets when he followed her.  "I figured you'd be off somewhere seducing a Hydra agent this time of year."

"Fuck off, Brock,"  Natasha said, turning in the direction Steve had gone in.  Rumlow just smirked and stopped behind her.

"No one wanted to fuck an old toy, huh?"  he taunted, making her stop short.  "Not even Hydra could fall for your dirty tricks when you're just damaged goods."

"Hold your tongue,"  Natasha warned, keeping her back to him.  Rumlow slowly walked towards her, keeping his arms crossed as he taunted her.

"Or what?  You'll sleep with me?  Try to ruin my reputation with your body?"  he sneered.  He stopped in front of her to see her fuming.

Natasha struggled to keep herself from punching him right then and there in the middle of the tree farm.  Why was he even here?  He couldn't have known she'd be there.

"Face it, the only reason SHIELD hired you was because they knew they could use you," Rumlow taunted. "Without the Red Room, you'd be nothing but a pretty face on a used body that no one would want.  After everything you've done, it's no surprise no one is interested."

Natasha didn't know quite how to respond.  She blinked, then blinked again when she realised her eyes were threatening to water.  She looked at the ground, avoiding Rumlow's sneer.  Despite knowing it was just Rumlow who'd said those things, she couldn't help but feel hurt by them.  It was as if he'd peered into her mind and seen her deepest fears.

"Apologise, Rumlow."  Natasha looked up to see Steve glowering down at Rumlow.  Rumlow was clearly surprised to see Steve, not having accounted for Natasha to have come with someone.

"Captain Rogers,"  Rumlow said, turning to leave.  Steve grabbed his arm roughly and pulled him back.

"Apologise to Natasha before I kill you myself,"  Steve threatened.  Rumlow's eyes widened slightly.  Steve's grip on his arm tightened and his glare hardened as he forced Rumlow to turn and look at Natasha.