Chapter Forty-Two: Um... I Have Dragon Head Hair

"Let's go dragons, let's go!" A single guy chanted, cheering on the Dartwell football team. "Let's go dragons, let's-"

"Shut up!" Someone exclaimed. "You're embarrassing yourself!"

His cheeks flushed and ended up saying nothing else the rest of the game.

Poor guy, I thought.

Everyone gave him pitiful looks, shaking their heads in sympathy for him. Some glared at the guy who yelled at him who ignored them because he knew he's right, we knew he's right. It was pointless, he shouldn't have gone so far to embarrass himself, cheering on Dartwell because... we're... let me just say it bluntly.

We're losing.

And no, I don't mean the other team- Straughtlan High, home of the sharks-is ahead by one measly point. I wish that was the case.

The scores right now is 0-18. I wish I can say we're the one's winning, but just look opposite of the double digit number and that's what we are. Straughtlan got their 18 points with two touchdowns (six points each) and two field goals (three points) while we got- oh wait, we got nothing. It was pathetic, depressing as we watched them score those points. Just before the game we were all riled up, excited for the game we were sure to win. Then you could just watch as the chants stopped, the bleachers going quiet, no one saying a word compared to the other side yelling and shouting.

I sighed before taking another bite out of my chili cheese hot dog. It's the only thing that's making up for the terrible game. On the Straughtlan side everyone was loud and happy, with a cheery atmosphere that should be rubbing off on us but we're so depressed it's canceling it out. They were even starting out a chant that was so catchy a few people from the Dartwell side were humming to it, getting glares from their neighbors. While on the Dartwell side, the atmosphere is depressing, already giving up, seeing everyone's bored, embarrassed looks for even sitting here. I looked around, seeing people so depressed they're not even eating their food. Yeah, they're that depressed. You know someone is depressed if they can't even finish their nachos with extra cheese and jalapeños.

"Let's go Dartwell! Let's go Dartwell! Let's give those losers a farewell!"

I snorted. "So we'll be telling ourselves goodbye then?"

But the cheerleading squad was just trying to do their thing. And no, I don't mean actually cheering, they're just showing off how short their skirts are and how low their blouses are. I guess they've given up on lifting up the school's spirit and going for lowering their standards- It's easier that way. And it was working, they weren't lifting up anyone's spirit, but they were lifting up some guys' spirit from the whistles and call gestures they made. Hannah especially did the most to get Declan's attention who's eyes were only on the game. Bennett and Abby were along with him. Abby was scolding the both of them for eating such disgusting food while Bennett and Declan just ate it anyway. I didn't see Jordan and Candice anywhere though.

But at least the cheerleaders were doing something. Even the school's mascot gave up in trying to cheer everyone up, and that's his job. The school's mascot, some poor kid getting paid to wear a ridiculous green and gold dragon that's the school mascot, with green scales and gold trim, is roasting in there while everyone is at least enjoying the cool crisp October air.

Everyone knew that's the game is hopeless now. We weren't in the same league to begin with. Dartwell High has always been rivals with Straughtlan, given the coach of the football team, Coach Cristiani, used to be in Dartwell. Straughtlan bribed him into coaching there with better pay and funding. We thought that he wouldn't betray us, but he did. So we got Coach Douglass, a brainless weight-lifting guy who coaches like a military sergeant.