Petals

Jirou wasn't really sure when it began, but all she could remember was throwing up flower petals. She stared at them numbly for a moment, before backing away in fear. She couldn't believe what was before her eyes, but she knew the moment she saw those petals. She had Hanahaki Disease. 

She knew that the disease was caused when someone suffered from one-sided love. She remembered how Todoroki and Momo looked so happy together. She remembered how Mina had said they almost looked like boyfriend and girlfriend....

She choked on the flower petals, spitting them into the toilet as she blinked back tears. Jirou could see the specks of blood scattered among the petals. She didn't know how far into the disease she was, but she knew it would get worse. If she didn't get the disease cured, she would die.

Surgery was an option, but Jirou hated the thought she could never love Momo again. She would just have to keep the Hanahaki Disease a secret, for now. It wouldn't be that hard, could it?

Jirou was sitting in class, tapping her pen impatiently as she waited for Aizawa. She sighed as she dropped her pen, reaching down to pick it up. As she grabbed the pen, she heard the sounds of laughter behind her.

Turning around, she noticed Momo laughing and Todoroki smiling. They looked so happy together and Todoroki rarely smiled. A strange feeling arose in Jirou, and she left the pen on the floor as she listened to them. 

She could feel the flowers coming up her throat, threatening to spill out in front of the class. She covered her mouth with her hand and quickly ran out of the classroom. Once reaching the bathroom, she let the flowers spill into the sink. There were more of them now, and more blood splattered. It was getting worse. 

"You have the Hanahaki Disease?" Denki asked as he looked at his friend.

Jirou turned towards him, looking surprised. "Why would you think that?" She nervously asked. Denki looked at her seriously, before he looked slightly nervous. "Well.... don't be angry or anything, but when you ran out of class, I followed you." Jirou could see he was getting even more nervous. "And I kinda... peeked into the girl's bathroom." Jirou glared at him and was ready to use her earphone jacks on him, but his concerned face made her stop. 

She fell to her knees and began crying. Denki sat down next to her and hugged her, quietly listening. He held Jirou as she talked about Todoroki and Momo, how they were probably in a relationship. How they both looked so happy when they were near each other. How she loved Momo so much that it hurt just to look at her. Denki said nothing, just held her and listened to every word. 

From a distance, Momo watched sadly.

Denki had told Jirou that she needed to get help, but Jirou refused to listen to him. She didn't want the surgery if it meant she would never love the person she cared about most. They had argued about Jirou's current health before Jirou had snapped at him. She felt guilty for treating him so harshly, but she didn't need help. She just wanted Momo to love her back.

She coughed into her hand, where a small red flower appeared. She stared at the flower, before dropping it into the nearest garbage can. She could barely eat without getting sick, and she had such a hard time breathing anymore. It was worst when Todoroki or Momo were around. She felt like she was drowning in a pool of her own blood.

Getting off the bench, she walked home with her hands in her pockets. She thought about how it wouldn't be too long before they graduated. Everyone would walk down their own paths from there. Closing her eyes, Jirou wondered if she would make it to graduation. Hopefully she could graduate; then she would have one of her dreams accomplished. Sighing, her thoughts drifted back to Momo as she walked. 

Jirou's head hit the toilet lid as she coughed and choked on her blood. She gasped for air as the last flower dropped to the ground. She weakly laid on the floor among the flowers and blood. The cold floor felt quite refreshing as she closed her eyes. How much time did she have left? From the way she felt now, she guessed only a few weeks to a month. 

She could hear knocking on the door, but she felt too tired to unlock it. She had locked the bathroom door so nobody would come in. She couldn't bear anyone else finding out, especially Momo. The pounding was louder now and Jirou wished the person would stop. 

She sobbed as she begged the person to stop. The banging just kept getting louder and louder, until there was a crash. Jirou looked as the door had been blown open, and suddenly she was resting in someone's lap. Looking up, she was met with Momo's face.

Momo was crying as she looked down at Jirou. "Why did you never tell me?" She whispered. Jirou smiled at her before coughing up blood. "Didn't want you to worry. Besides, you and Todoroki were happy. I didn't wanna spoil your fun." 

"Did you seriously think me and Todoroki were a couple?" Momo asked Jirou. Jirou's eyes widened. "Why wouldn't you be?" More tears ran down Momo's face as she laughed weakly. "I was helping him muster up enough courage to talk to his love interest. I like Todoroki, as a friend." Jirou listened to her words and closed her eyes, tears running down her face.

"Do...Do you love me then?" Jirou asked hopefully. "Why wouldn't I?" Momo chuckled. Jirou looked into Momo's eyes, trying to find any signs of false information. There was none.

Using the last bit of her energy, Jirou sat up and brought Momo in for a kiss. Momo wrapped her arms around her and squeezed her tightly. They kept kissing even when the other students came in to help them. They stayed in each other's arms as the teachers called the paramedics. 

Jirou could feel the last petal wilting and turn to dust as she laid there with Momo. She broke away from Momo's arms and happily fell limp upon the ground. There was still a smile on her face as the paramedics rushed her off to the hospital.

The flowers that had caused her pain would now bloom happily in Jirou's outdoor garden. 

I really hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. I did some research on the disease and made this!

This story was suggested by dontjudgeimmafangirl! Thank you for your help! :D