Don't wait for me (Part 1)

Endgame spoilers, I guess, so if you haven't seen it, don't read it.

Kind of a fix it fic, because that movie completely destroyed me.

Kinda different from canon, because I want Peter to be sixteen in this.

I don't think that's actually his age, seeing as the movie was kinda nonspecific about that, but yeah.

Anyhoo.

Enjoy.

"We won, Mr Stark. We won. You did it sir."

"So it's okay," the hologram said softly. "I know this is difficult, but you're strong. You're one of the strongest people I know. You can keep going. Live your life. Don't wait for me, okay? I'll see you after."

Peter watched the recording play out, eyes dry, and face hard.

Even after a year, and multiple times watching this same video, nothing has changed.

He hates Tony.

Or he wants to.

Well, not really.

Mostly, he hates that he's never going to see his- Tony again.

Morgan will grow up without a father.

Pepper lost her husband to the one thing she always feared would happen.

Rhodey lost his best friend.

Happy lost his friend and boss.

Peter shouldn't miss Tony this much.

The others had reason to, but Peter was just a poor, orphan kid from Queens

"And for the record, Pete, there's something I wanted to tell you."

The hologram of Tony rubbed his neck. "I think of you as a son, Pete. I always have. Morgan is my princess, but you are my kid, in all the ways that count to me. Remember that. And do me a favor? Look after them for me. Pepper won't admit it, but she can't be strong all the time. Be there for her when she isn't, yeah? Just remember I am so proud of you, Pete. Love you bud."

Peter glared at the glowing figure of his mentor. "Why, Tony? Why would you do that?"

He thought of the inventor, could almost see him standing beside the bed, hands in his pockets, with his eyes gentle, and happy.

"Because I wanted a world where you would be safe." He could almost hear the words.

Tony had said that so many times.

He wanted a safer world, a better life for his future children, for all future children, all around the world.

"Where people don't have to be afraid for their lives. Where they don't have to worry about saying goodbye to a loved one, and them never coming home."

"But I want you to come back," Peter whispered brokenly. "I want you to come home. I need you, Tony. Please. I can't lose you too. I need you. I've already lost my parents, and my last family. I can't lose another person I love."

"Peter?" Friday's voice was gentle, for an AI. "Ms Potts is attempting to lay Miss Morgan down for her nap, but she wants to see her 'brother'. Shall I inform Mrs. Stark that you are otherwise occupied?"

Peter hurriedly wiped his eyes with his sleeve. "No. I'm on my way."

--------------

Morgan was curled up in the middle of her bed, the pink blanket twisted and shoved to the side. The little girl's eyes were red, and she had tear tracks on her face. "Petey?"

Peter sank down beside her, brushing dark strands of hair out of her face. "Hey Mo. You okay?"

Her lip trembled. "I want my daddy."

Peter blinked quickly, trying to hide the rising sheen of tears. "Yeah. I know. I do too."

Her voice lowered. "Can you tell me a story?"

He curled up on his side, reasonably sure that he wasn't leaving anytime soon. "Just one. What story do you want?"

Morgan played with the blanket, not meeting his eyes. "A story about my daddy."

Peter took in a slow breath. "Well- did I ever tell you about the first time I met your dad, when I was fourteen, and he recruited me to fight Captain America?"

Her eyes lit up. "No! Can you tell it?"

"Well, you see, I was fourteen, like I said, and I came home one afternoon after school, and I was just a tad bit surprised to see that Tony Stark, the Tony Stark, was in my living room, talking to my aunt, and eating her date loaf.

"Word to the wise," he whispered in her ear. "Never accept any of my cooking. I learned it from her. I was always worried that she'd burn the kitchen down, at the very least."

He paused, small grin tugging at his lips as she giggled, and then made his face serious. "And then, he told me he wanted me to go to Germany with him. And you know what my excuse was?"

The six year old wrinkled her nose. "A girl?"

He smothered a laugh. "Nope. Homework."

Her eyes narrowed. "That's a bad 'scuse."

"Okay, Miss sass." He raised his hands. "You asked for it."

Her eyes widened in realization, and she threw herself toward Pepper, who was watching with a sad smile. "Mommy! Peter's gonna tickle me!"

Peter picked her up  spinning her around the room, and then dropping her back to the mattress, where he tickled her mercilessly.

Her shrieks and giggling masked the sound of the doorbell.

Seconds later, there was a loud thud on the door.

Peter sat up, tapping his finger against Morgan's lips. "Remember what I told you."

She nodded solemnly, watching as he moved out of her room, and towards the door.

It was dark outside, but Peter could make out the silhouette, waiting patiently.

He pulled it open slowly, and then froze.

Because it wasn't possible.

What he was seeing was not in any way, shape, or form possible.

"Tony?"