chapter 10:

Song: Glory- Bastille (I absolutely adore this song)

Chapter 10:

A little over a month passed in a haze.

Alpha Mateo alongside Carly, Jordan and Carlos went back to Spain briefly after the day I met them.

Alvaro was staying in our pack house. Alpha Christopher was kind enough to offer him a place to crash until we head out back to his home. Jonathan and Alvaro became really close friends, bonding over their love for pack practice, talking strategy and the fact that they were mated to Jenna and I.

I believe my brother Adrian might have been a bit jealous of this new friendship although he was never cruel towards my mate. He knew Jonathan was his best friend but he could not help but feel left out when we, for example, went on double dates.

As for myself, I spent most of my time both studying hard and working out for my exams and also hanging out with Alvaro.He was quite helpful when it came to teaching me new techniques of attack and defense, putting me at the top of my class.

Besides the obvious advantage of being a werewolf I had also become faster, stronger and deadlier.

Grace was the first one to notice my progress and had been working out with us as well. Sebastian, her mate, also joined us a few times. We were both pretty confident that we would pass our exams with flying colors and would be joining the force soon. And we did.

During this time, Alvaro was the most supportive mate a girl could ask for. He was always willing to help me improve both physically and mentally.

Although we did not have much free time to spend on romantic getaways, he never complained. He always told me he was glad he was able to help me accomplish my dream.

This past month I had been thinking a lot about Alvaro and I’s forthcoming departure. It seemed like such a stressful idea in the beginning but now, I felt ready to start a new life with my mate in his home country.

Alvaro always mentioned how different yet interesting pack life was in Spain. He had helped me understand their rules and traditions which seemed a bit old-fashioned but fair. He explained to me that the Alpha and those that were close to him were mostly treated like royalty although Mateo had been trying to change that for the past few years. He hoped that he could bring more equality into their lives.

Most pack members helped around the pack instead of having ‘real’ jobs. The money came from years and years of savings that were passed from one generation to the other. There might have been members that wanted to pursuit different careers but didn’t, just because it was not how everything usually worked in the Godsend pack.

Alpha Mateo had come to the USA in order to learn how to modernize his pack’s customs without disturbing their peace. Now that he had found Carly he was finally ready to put his plan into motion. His father would be stepping down giving Mateo the chance to rule in his own way.

I was aware of the fact that Alvaro was saddened he could not be there to help his Alpha with this project right from the start since they spend so many years of planning these changes. They would often discuss pack business over the phone but it was clear that my mate wished he could be more present in this situation.

Therefore, I was glad that one of the most important days of my life finally arrived.

Grace and I were just a few minutes away from graduating.

We had spent so much time preparing for this moment that I could not believe it was finally here. Tonight was all about celebrating our achievement.

Grace and I were currently sitting side by side, wearing our caps and gowns and waiting for Mr. Anderson to announce our names before going up to the stand and getting our degree.
All of our friends and family were also here, supporting us in this significant occasion. Our old classmates that were now our new colleagues were sited close to us and most of them seemed nervous but excited.

My mind drifted back to the day when Mr. Anderson announced the candidates that succeeded in becoming police officers…

(Flashback)
Grace and I alongside our fellow students were waiting anxiously for Mr. Anderson to show up in the lecture hall. He came bursting in and had a bright smile on his face which seemed like a good sign.

He cleared his throat loudly catching our attention “Hello everyone. I hope all of you are well. I have to admit that I am probably as nervous as you guys today considering the fact that I was there the first time you stepped foot in this property.” he said with a chuckle as if he was remembering something “Most of you looked lost. Some seemed determined to succeed and others weren’t even sure if they wanted to be here… I spent the last 4 years watching each and everyone of you grow through all of the struggles and difficulties you had to face in the academy. And regardless of today’s outcome I just wanted to say… I am extremely proud of you. I am extremely proud of all of you! It was an owner to be your professor: hope I teached you a thing or two.” he joked at the end of his speech, winking at us and we all started clapping our hands while a lot of cheers and whistles could be heard.
Mr. Anderson was definitely our favorite lieutenant.

Mr. Anderson chuckled at our outburst and he motioned for us to calm down and take our sits.
“Now, on to the hard part. I am gonna name the candidates that aced their exams in Alphabetical order. Those one’s that won’t hear their names can try their luck again at the end of the year. So, without further ado, the first one is… Margaret Atkins! Congratulations”

……Our fellow contenders kept on hearing their names, each one reacting in their own way.

  The list went on and on until it finally reached the letter L. Thank God Grace was by my side because I was suddenly a bit worried. Grace squeezed my hand in a reassuring matter, trying to calm my nerves.

Finally, our lieutenant looked my way and grinned at me cheekily before saying: “Next we have… The petite but very feisty… Dawn Logan. Congratulations!”

“Yes!!! You did it!” Grace squealed and threw her arms around me in a tight hug

“I am so happy” I said unable to form any other words.

We quickly pulled apart since Grace’s name should be announced any time soon.
We had to wait for a few more names to pass until Mr. Anderson called my best friends name. Once again we hugged it out and squealed like little kids.

There was something so rewarding in reaching a goal that you worked so hard for.

(End of flashback)

At this moment, as I was realizing everything I had to go through in order to be here today I felt unexpectedly overwhelmed. This was it.

Mr. Anderson announced my name and I stood up swiftly and made my way towards the stand.

All of my friends and family alongside some of our pack members cheered for me loudly and I gave them a little wave while I had a huge grin plastered on my face.

My lieutenant looked at me politely and handed me my degree.
“I am really proud of you” He told me softly and all I managed to say back was a brief thank you. I got down from the stage pretty quickly after that so I could watch my best friend get her degree.

A lot of hugs, congratulations and smiles for the cameras later we were all gathered in our house. My siblings decided to throw me a graduation barbeque party but it was also a good excuse for me to spend some time with all my favorite people before Alvaro and I leave for Spain.

Since I was a Beta’s daughter, the entire pack was invited. Pretty much everyone brought me gifts, which was surprising and they all seemed genuinely happy for me, wishing me the best for my future.

It warmed my heart watching everyone enjoying themselves. I looked around our yard and noticed so many familiar faces that I won’t be seeing so frequently anymore. I saw my friends, my family, some pack members that I actually liked…

Jonathan was currently grilling while he seemed to be saying something funny that had my sister turn red and my brothers burst out in laughter. Peter turned his eyes on mine and gave me a sweet toothy smile that I returned instantly. Our Alpha and Luna along with my mother were drinking wine and having a discussion about random stuff. The little pups were running around giggling, causing chaos. Sebastian and Grace were dancing to a slow tune, looking into each other’s eyes lovingly. My father had Alvaro cornered and was probably warning him to protect me with his life because if something was to happen to me he would hunt him down. My poor mate.

I laughed lowly remembering how different my life was just a few months ago. I was actually glad that THIS was the way I was walking out of the pack.

With my dream accomplished and my awesome mate by my side.

Right in that second, Gamma Cecilia approached me with a warm expression catching my attention and handed me a small red box.
“This is for you, my sweet Dawn.” She told me kindly

“Thank you Gamma Cecilia. You didn’t have to.” I thanked her graciously

“Nonsense. It’s nothing special, just a little wooden heart my husband made. It’s supposed to protect you in this new chapter of your life. We gave one to Carly as well. You know, today actually reminds me of the day she left. Letting her go was undeniably the hardest thing I had to do… I can tell this will be hard on your parents.”

“It definitely will be” My mother interrupts us and comes to stand close to me

Gamma Cecilia nods agreeably, her eyes a bit teary “I was just mentioning that to Dawn. I will leave you guys to it. You take care of yourself, ok?” She tells me and hugs me momentarily before making her way to where her husband was sited.

I turn my gaze towards my mother who had her attention already on me.

“I cannot believe you and Alvaro are heading to Spain so soon.” She states and I can’t help but feel a bit dumbfound.

“He is a Beta. He can’t neglect his duties for much longer. Besides, you are the one who told me that a she-wolf must always follow her mate”

“I am aware of what I said, Dawn. It’s just that… Never mind. I was about to wish you luck but you won’t be needing it.  I am certain you will do great. You are a good person. You will be a good Beta… ” she declares effortlessly

I raise my brow at her not believing the amount of compliments I just received from my mother “Thank you I guess?” I answer her not knowing how to respond to her

She nods once and turns to leave but then looks at me again before saying “You just make sure you don’t forget this place. After all, it’s part of your story. You know, I don’t think I have ever told you this before but I truly do love you Dawn... You guys have a safe trip.” She admits surprising me once again. She steps away from me and reaches our Luna before I have the chance to answer her and I just stand there, shocked as ever.

I shake my head dismissively and decide to go grab something to eat not feeling willing to overthink my mother’s odd behavior.

I take a plate from the table and approach Jonathan and my siblings.
“Hey, future Alpha. Will you feed the person everyone gathered here for?” I tell him showing him my plate.

“Of course, Dawn. What do you want?”

“Chicken.” my siblings and I answer at the same time making all of us laugh simultaneously

“If we know anything about Dawn is that she lovesss her chicken” Adrian teases me while putting his hand on my shoulder and I show him my tongue.

Jonathan serves me my much anticipated chicken and I devour the delicious meat immediately.

“Damn, I am going to miss our fights about all things food related little sis” Adrian mentions sheepishly

I roll my eyes playfully at his comment “For the last time…I am older than you, little goof” I state and he grins

“And I am concerned about the fact that there will be no one worthy enough to tease around here. Plus, who will be making us dinner at 3 am when we can’t sleep now that you are moving away. Jenna is always with Jonathan nowadays” he adds making Jenna scoff at him

“Hey it’s not my fault you guys are mateless.” Jenna responds sassily while giving Jonathan a peck on the lips to irritate Adrian.

“That’s just gross. YOU are lucky you are my future Alpha” my brother states pointing his finger at Jonathan who just smiles apologetically.

“I am more concerned about the fact that we won’t be having you around in general. I am really going to miss you, Dawn” Peter remarks with a serious yet soft expression that melts my heart.

“I am going to miss you guys a lot” I answer him truthfully

“Group sibling hug!” Jenna yells and comes closer so we can all embrace each other.

We stay like that for a few seconds, all hugging each other tightly, before we let go.

“What more can a father ask for? I think this is the first time I’ve seen you guys not biting at each other’s throats every two seconds.” My father, who had come up to us accompanied by our Alpha, declares.

Alpha Christopher looks at me and gives me a warm smile “The US police force will be missing out on an amazing police officer.” He notes kindly

“I believe so, too. You did well, Dawn. You chose your own path, you followed your heart and you won.” My father admits for the first time ever and I can’t help but feel proud of myself in that very moment. I knew my dad hated acknowledging that he was wrong especially when it came down to my choices.

“Thank you both.” I respond shyly not knowing how to handle my parents’ weird goodbyes to me.

“You make sure you make some unforgettable memories there. Spain is a beautiful country. But your mother probably already told you all about it. ” My Alpha says and I look at him with confusion

“My mother?” I ask dazed, fixing my gaze on my father

He doesn’t respond to me immediately... He looks on the ground before returning my stare. A few seconds pass before he answers “Yes… Your mother lived in Spain for almost a year when she was 17.  She was studying to become a nurse. When she turned 18, she came home for a quick visit and we found out we were mates. We accepted our duties as Betas of this pack straightaway. She never went back to Spain after that.” My father explains slowly as if the memory is so unpleasant that it hurts

“I had no idea” I tell him and he just shrugs it off

I feel like there was a reason why none of us knew about this secret adventure my mother went on when she was younger.

“We will let you kids enjoy the rest of your night.” Alpha Christopher states, easing the tension and they both walk away from us.

Jenna turns her eyes on mine, a million questions dancing in them, reflecting my own confusion.

My mate decides to appear out of nowhere right in that instant and puts his arm around me from behind, locking me in a warm hug.

“Hey” I greet him lowly

“Hey… I feel like I haven’t seen you at all today. I have to fight pretty much everyone for your attention” he jokes and I smile

“From tomorrow on you will have me all to yourself”

“YES. Finally” Alvaro teases and I roll my eyes “Are you ready to say goodbye to everyone? We need to get going in a little while if we want to catch the plane” Alvaro reminds me and I sigh loudly

“Yeah I guess” I tell him not sounding convincing in the slightest

Alvaro gives me a tiny kiss on my neck and then whispers “We can postpone our departure if you want”

I turn around in his embrace feeling the need to look into his beautiful eyes that are always so full with emotion. Alvaro’s grip tightens on my back and I give him a sweet kiss on the lips “I am ready to start our life together. Let’s go tell everyone we are heading off”

Alvaro nods understandingly “I’ll go grab our suitcases while you say goodbye to everyone”

I move towards the center of our yard and clear my throat knowing everyone can hear me.

“Can everyone gather out here, please? Alvaro and I will be leaving soon.”

Little by little, all of our pack members came out of the house and gathered around me.

I hugged pretty much every single person that came here today even though some were only here for the delicious food. I honestly don’t blame them.

Obviously the funniest exchange of goodbyes was between Grace and I. She demonstrated how dramatic she can be by crying her eyes out and threating to show everyone embarrassing pictures of me, if I do not call her on a regular bases. I was going to miss her badly.

Finally, we were all set up and ready to leave. Alvaro put our suitcases in his car as I got inside the vehicle and put my seatbelt on.

Every person was waving at us and I chuckled thinking how this felt like we had just gotten married and were now leaving for our honeymoon.

I gave them a sincere smile and waved back not wanting to be rude. Alvaro got in the car as well and looked at me expectedly.

“So… Are you ready?” He asked in a hoarse tone that had my mind and heart twirling

I looked at him with confidence, returning his intense stare and simply said “Oh yeah”

A/N: and..... they are off to a new start.
Do you consider mama and papa Logan weird?
Please vote and comment !