Chapter 21: Jia family

A month has passed after the Hai Residence received the visit for Prime Minister Jia Peizhi and all of his family members. They came for a visit to congratulate Madam Li Lanying and General Hai Bojing for Jia Huian's pregnancy.

When Madam Li met both First Madam Qiao Mingxia and Second Madam Ye Luli, she is quite surprised that both women are quite harmonious with each other.

First Madam Qiao comes from a noble family with a literary background so it is understandable that she is someone who is somewhat proud and comes across as cold and distant at times.

But, Second Madam Ye seems to be quite understanding and treats the main wife much warmer than how she treats Prime Minister Jia. The Empress Dowager has earlier told her that this Second Madam Ye is the only child of Merchant Ye Fengfu¹ and his only wife, Madam Ye Youya².

Madam Ye Youya is an orphan has been adopted by old master Ye and his wife. It is said that she is the reason why the wealth of the Ye family has greatly grown. For more than 40 years, the Ye family is the richest family in the Kingdom and might be even richer than the imperial family themselves.

Some said that Merchant Ye married his adopted sister due to the fact that she because of this fact alone. But, the truth is that Merchant Ye is deeply in love with his adopted sister ever since he has laid his eyes on her. Though their parents are against their union in the beginning, Madam Ye took over the business of the Ye family, tripled their amount of wealth in just one year before kneeling before the old couple for the whole day. Seeing that his adopted sister is adamant in coaxing their parents, Merchant Ye too followed her suit. The old couple can only give in and feels that this will be much better as their wealth will not be jeopardized by outsiders.

With that being said, Second Madam Ye is a rich individual in her own right but, as a woman, her safety is at risk so her parents met with Prime Minister Jia and literally begged him to take their daughter as his concubine. Second Madam Ye accepted her parents' decision because many have tried to do all sorts of things to tie her down with marriage.

Even with their obvious age differences, Prime Minister Jia and Second Madam Ye are quite naturally comfortable to each other. The main wife and the concubine's relationship is surprisingly well though it is obvious that can only happen due to the Second Madam Ye giving in to First Madam Qiao and did not demand her husband's full attention towards her. Second Madam Ye knows that First Madam Qiao loves their husband wholeheartedly unlike her who only has a feeling of gratitude towards Prime Minister Jia.

Madam Li smiles and thought that her daughter-in-law is just like her mother which she considers as a huge blessing to the Hai family. Though Second Madam Ye is not a great beauty herself, both of her children are gifted with exceptional looks. There is a high chance that her future grandchild will be one with an exceptional look as well and she hopes that he or she will inherit Jia Huian's kind smile. Having a son who displays serious expression most of the times is somewhat depressing.

"Mother... Can I enter?"

Madam Li immediately looks up only to see a beautiful young woman standing in front of the entrance door, she smiles and immediately says, "Chunhua, come in. How is your first visit to the imperial palace with your older brother?"

Chunhua who used to be one of Jia Huian's dowry maids is now a member of the Hai family. The Jia family even added into her dowry once they know that she will soon-to-be engaged with Forth Prince Rong Yingming. Though her status and rank have been elevated from a servant to a mistress, she still acts like she usually did.

Every day, she will first come here to give her morning greeting and they will casually chat for a period of time. Hai Chunhua is a bit cautious with her and her son but, she has made sure that her meals are well taken care of by the kitchen. All of her meals are now full of medicinal herbs which, according to the imperial doctor, good for her health in the long run. She smiles as she stares at disappearing figure of her adopted daughter who is walking towards the courtyard of her son.