F O R T Y

DISCLAIMER
I HAVE DECIDED, AS THE AUTHOR AND CREATOR OF THIS STORY, THAT I AM GOING TO ADD MORE TO THIS STORY ULTIMATELY CHANGING THE OUTCOME AND ENDING OF IT. THIS NOVEL WILL CONTINUE FOR MANY MORE CHAPTERS, THE LAST TWO CHAPTERS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED AND WILL BE FORGOTTEN AFTER THIS CHAPTER.

The instant I knocked on the door it swung open and Diane stood there beaming at me with such happiness and adoration. Instantly, I was engulfed into a bone-crushing hug, hugging her back slowly. 

"Oh, my! You look absolutely fantastic darling," Diane commented, pulling me away to look at me closely.

I laughed sheepishly at her, waving her compliment off. "So, what's the meaning of this?" I asked her, walking further into the home, allowing her to lead me into the dining and kitchen area.

"Well, we all decided we should throw a party for you since you made such an amazing recovery," she commented, revealing the rest of the party to me.

Everyone was there, Ethan, Leslie, Mia, Amanda, Leo, Steer, Jareth, Owen, my dad, and a few more members of the Southside Banshees that I haven't met before. I glanced over at Diane, who still remained at my side smiling widely. "This is all for me?"

She nodded happily, leaving my side to join Ethan while my three best friends came rushing at me, engulfing me in yet another bone-crushing hug. "Okay, guys, still recovering here," I gasped to them, them immediately letting go of me and smiling so widely.

"God, we're so happy you're okay now," Mia said, wiping away a stray tear. "We were really worried for a while, it almost seemed like you were done with life."

I sighed heavily, giving them a weak smile. "I really was pathetic, wasn't I? I hate that I was more upset over a man than I was over the fact that I couldn't walk."

"Speaking of which--" Leslie started but I stopped her.

"I don't care. I don't want to know where he is. I don't care that he didn't show up. He made it clear enough before, during and after the accident that he wanted absolutely nothing to do with me. Now, I can honestly say that I agree with him," I told them, grabbing a glance of champagne. "To single life, ladies."

The three smiled widely. "Now that's something I can drink to," Amanda cheered, the four of us clinking our glasses together and taking a drink.

Aaron came over to me, the sweetest and most heartbreaking smile on his face as he hugged me gently. "My beautiful girl," he said, looking me in the eye, holding my shoulders. "You're the strongest damn woman I've ever known. Maybe even stronger than some of these wusses in the club."

We both laughed at that and continued to have our little daddy-daughter heart-felt moment which consisted of him almost crying and talking about how he almost lost me and then me assuring him that I wasn't going to die so easily. The night went on and, to my pleasure, Donovan didn't show up once. After chatting with everyone, I ended up sitting on the patio enjoying a beer and watching the sky while the party inside bustled on.

"Congratulations," Ethan said, entering the patio through the back door and moving to take a seat in one of the many chairs. "On your recovery. You've worked very hard."

I smiled softly. "I couldn't have done it without your help, Ethan. Truly, I am really grateful for everything you've done for me," I told him, finishing off my beer.

"I didn't do those special treatments--"

"I know, you didn't. I already know he did it," I cut him off, wishing I had another beer. "I don't care. No matter what he does. It doesn't change the fact that he degraded me for loving him, that he didn't even try to be a man and apologize to me in person. I've saved his life more times than I can count and this...this is how he tries to give thanks?" it angered me. He treated me like absolute garbage, like I was some desperate little slut looking for a good time. "Of all the bad guys I've fixed up, I wish I never saved him."

"And yet you did," he said, staring up at the night sky. "Yet you saved him not once, not twice, but multiple times. You spent hours nursing him back to life just for him to turn around and get nearly killed all over again. It annoyed you, infuriated you. Yet you did it. You saved him and you've saved a whole bunch of other shitty people all out of the goodness of your heart. You only say that because you loved him, because you trusted him, because you believed he'd return your feelings and you two would be off in paradise having your honeymoon."

"Since when did you start being against Donovan? Aren't you his trainer?"

"Yes, I am. But that doesn't mean I agree with his decisions. He's blinder than a bat, than a fucking mole. He doesn't deserve forgiveness or kindness or your help, not even your time," he continued, finally turning to look me in the eye. "But, I can tell you this one thing for certain. You're the only woman he's ever loved. He's such a stubborn ass he'll never admit it and now...now he'll never get the chance to."

"Do you know why he does what he does?" I asked him. "Why he treats the ones he love so aggressively? Why?" I was growing frustrated. "Why did I have to fall in love with such a jackass? Why is it that I still love him now?"

"Because you understand him more than anyone else does, and he loves you because he understands you more than anyone else does," he said, standing and putting his hands in his pockets. "He doesn't deserve your time, your love, your care, none of it. He knows it too and yet he's so stubborn he can't just leave you alone. He will do every damn thing in his power to get you back."

"I won't go back," I snapped. "He better face me like a man if he wants anything from me."